Filing a DBA Name in All 50 States

MSchreur

Hi there! I am looking to get started selling life insurance in all 50 states via my website/phone. I will only be operating as a DBA for now. It seems too expensive for me right now to set up an LLC in every state. Especially considering I do not know how successful I will be obtaining online leads in each state and which states will be more profitable or useful for me to keep my licenses.

Based on my research so far many state insurance depts want to have you DBA name on record. Some of them also require proof the DBA is on filed with either the state itself or counties operating in. This seems like an extremely tedious and expensive process.

I've already got my domain name and DBA idea established and want to be sure I am in compliance with advertising in that name verses my own.

Does anyone have any input on this? How big of a deal is this to be in compliance? Especially since I am not technically operating in each/state or county until I receive a prospect from that state/county.

Any suggestions on how to make this process simpler? Thanks in advance ;)

I'd be more concerned how you'll get your website seen than a DBA. Is there anything wrong with just using your name? I could be mistaken but I don't believe you need a DBA simply for a domain name.

Rick

Hi Rick, thanks for your reply! Yea, I'm thinking as I start out it seems unnecessary to file a DBA name with every state. My last name is hard to pronounce and spell. I already own my name's domain name and I suppose I could use it...maybe even along with the other one I prefer to use. It's hard to say how much using my name will affect my online visibility. I plan to do a variety of marketing verses strict SEO so who knows what will happen.

I'm thinking its not needed to file as a DBA just because im using a separate domain name. I will simply make it clear I'm the agent offering services and hope for the best! There are so many rules and regulations out there. It's enough to scare anyone out of doing business LOL

I'm thinking its not needed to file as a DBA just because im using a separate domain name. I will simply make it clear I'm the agent offering services and hope for the best! There are so many rules and regulations out there. It's enough to scare anyone out of doing business LOL

I use a couple of sites including californiamedicareplans.com. I just list the agency name on the bottom with license number.

Rick

As Rick said, getting folks to your website to buy insurance will be a much more difficult task than figuring out how to register your business.
Focus on that first, make some sales, and then worry about the other stuff.
Getting licensed in all 50 States to start out with is pretty much overkill in my opinion but if you're sure your marketing efforts will be effective in every State, go ahead and I wish you the best of luck. Huge task at hand.
I would start out by focusing on 15-20 of the most populous States. If you get a lead for another State, then you can add that State....or sell the lead if you would rather do that.
Jeff Root's other site: http://www.selltermlife.com/

Thanks everyone! Great idea to ask Jeff Root. Perhaps a question for his podcast. I've been listening to that. Great information!!!

Well see I am already licensed in every state so its not so much that. It's how to market myself and stay compliant. I definitely agree that I've got to establish a relationship with and IMO and start selling first. Then I can reorganize this biz aspect of it. After all selling if the fun part.

I really appreciate the feedback! I hope everyone is having a great week :biggrin:

Hahahaha I need a commercial like that! Yes, it is before my time.

My maiden name was much simplier. My sisters in law said "good luck with the name" when they welcomed me to the family LOL

These are great suggestions. I appreciate the input. I'm just gonna roll with my name. Use what God gave me. Branding myself isnt such a bad idea.

Back