Getting Ahead Without Stepping on Toes? Possible?

Rory

Hi Everyone, I'm 22 years old and have been working at an independent agency for 5 YEARS. I work my butt off day in day out, and I like it but I just am not making enough money ( I ask for raises and performance reviews but they really drag their feet about it) I get paid a really below average salary and small bonuses.

EVERY TIME that I bring up getting my license, they change the subject! It's like they do not want anyone to get ahead. No one in the agency has a 2-20 but the owner, and really no one else seems as ambitious as I am, but I feel like I'm too smart for settling for a mediocre salary and I could be making way more money. The only problem is I've worked with them for so long that I'm comfortable. And the prospect of starting somewhere new is intimidating after so long.

I've signed up for a 2-20 Training course, I'm also currently in college. I kind of just want to take the exam without telling anyone. Do you guys think this is a horrible idea? I was kind of thinking that once I actually show them I'm serious about my career they will reconsider and make me an offer to keep me....

Advice would be greatly appreciated!! This is the first time I step out and talk to others in the industry :cute:

Go for it! Get your license. However, if they don't keep you, that may (should) help you get a better position elsewhere.

If they do keep you, they MAY pay for your licensing course and fees... as well as an increase.

You won't get anything new until you get a license.

Hi Everyone, I'm 22 years old and have been working at an independent agency for 5 YEARS. I work my butt off day in day out, and I like it but I just am not making enough money ( I ask for raises and performance reviews but they really drag their feet about it) I get paid a really below average salary and small bonuses.

EVERY TIME that I bring up getting my license, they change the subject! It's like they do not want anyone to get ahead. No one in the agency has a 2-20 but the owner, and really no one else seems as ambitious as I am, but I feel like I'm too smart for settling for a mediocre salary and I could be making way more money. The only problem is I've worked with them for so long that I'm comfortable. And the prospect of starting somewhere new is intimidating after so long.

I've signed up for a 2-20 Training course, I'm also currently in college. I kind of just want to take the exam without telling anyone. Do you guys think this is a horrible idea? I was kind of thinking that once I actually show them I'm serious about my career they will reconsider and make me an offer to keep me....

Advice would be greatly appreciated!! This is the first time I step out and talk to others in the industry :cute:

Comfortable at 22??? Move out of your parents house and start paying rent, buying your own bologna and toilet paper.

Get your license but be prepared with a plan if/when they say clean out your desk. Do not get licensed expecting for them to change. You need to change. They are doing what is best for them. As they should. Go get um.

Listen to me you little turd. With 5 years experience already at the age of 22 you know EVERYTHING you need to know about running an office (assuming personal lines..) If you have no expenses & live w/ your parents still (yeah...nothing wrong w/ that I did it until age 20..) then get licensed & open your own agency. Living at home w/ no expenses will make it TOTALLY POSSIBLE opposed to getting a salary elsewhere...getting a place to live & then you're glued to that job because you can't afford to start from scratch.

I'm 30. I opened my own agency at 26 & I should have (and could have) done it at age 22/23. If I know what I know now...I would have absolutely opened my own agency sooner. I'm assuming you know how renewal commissions work? If I started around your age instead of waiting until 26 I would be about 150-200kyear richer right now (and that is NOT an exaggeration.) This field makes you a boat load of money & not many younger people don't get into it. If they do...they're b*tch @sses who work for agencies getting paid a crap salary.

Trust me young buck...trust me. If you're going to stay in insurance, put together a plan to get licensed & open your own office. Getting licensed is a piece of cake & opening an agency isn't hard. Just get appointments (you already have the experience..) and get a crappy tiny office w/ minimal expenses. Within 2 years you'll be WELL on your way.

I know it may seem intimidating, but you're so young that you can recover even if you somehow are a vagina & fail at writing business when you open your own office. God...if ONLY SOMEBODY SLAPPED SENSE INTO ME SOONER!!!

GO GET EM!

I agree with these folks. Get licensed and get going. The reason you are in the situation as stated before is because it benefits your employer. As long as that environment exists, it will never change. Only you have the power to change that. Hell, you don't even need to rent office space. I have been operating out of a spare room in my home for over 23 years. I will be taking office space for the first time in my career in the coming year only because of my growing GA business.
Everything folks here have said is true. You have 5 years experience, that is a lifetime in this business. You do indeed know all you will need to know to get started. Get started, get licensed, get going and make it happen.

Rory,

they are all correct. I started like you. Shift the gears, pop the clutch and make some moves. Your Current agency will prey on young bucks like you to do the work and receive little benefit. Time to get licensed, present that, suggest what you want. (Nothing small) They might say it is time to go but the license makes you more valuable for your next position. And like Ins1822 said, without the vulgarity of the post, you can and should do this.

We help agents do it everyday. Give me call if you need guidance. Better yet call Ins1822 for guidance, let him mentor you, when he is not so crude he is pretty spot on.

Last edited:
This will sound really bad.. but its the truth.

I will not hire any young go getters, educated, polish professional looking young people just starting out, with big dreams.

The reason being is they are not going to be happy working for some old lady. They all want to drive a Benz and open their own shop, build their own books and have me pay for all their licensing.

Your boss does not want you licensed, they are not going to spend all day mentoring you and cultivating you so you can open your own agency and take everything they taught you and half their customers and compete against them in the same town.

Learn everything you can and get ready to make some moves on your own. You cannot depend on someone else for your income and success.

Back