Getting Back into the Game After a 10 Yr Hiatus

bmerri

So I sold life and health insurance for about 12 yrs with good success but never great...was a 6 figure earner in the late 90's early 2000's. At one time had a few agents writing for me and got burned by marketing companies a couple of times.
Said no mas after the last one. Got into technology sales, doing well but just hate punching a clock and going into an office daily and everything else that goes along with the cons of working for the man. Thinking about starting part time...running appts at night and on the weekends.

Looking at final expense and health/life for small business and individuals but not sure which way to turn, especially with Obamacare and whatever comes with Trump running the show...if anything. Looking for some advice on what companies, leads, etc.....give me the good the bad and the ugly. I certainly saw it when I was producing. TYIA

You are looking at 2 separate verticals. FE and the over 65 market and health/life under 65 market. I have been in the health/life space for over 30 years so I have seen the good, bad and ugly. I cannot speak for the FE market, there are folks on this forum that are far better able to address that than I. However, I enjoy what we do. Even though we have had some challenges, and I think it would be safe to say a lot of agents have left the field and gone into FE and Med Supps. Case in point, look at the stats at how many people are on the FE forum versus the Health and Supplemental Products forum, it almost 3-1. I look at this as an opportunity, in my opinion, this is a great time to be in this space. There are just as many, even more prospects now that are looking for help.

Its unfortunate that you have gotten burned before by a marketing company. When I first started in this industry, so did I. However, that just made me appreciate my core values and over the years as we built our sale organization and agency, we have never forgot that.

I cannot tell you which direction to go, that has to be your decision, but if you are going to be making a career out of this, pick the one you have a passion for and enjoy getting out of bed in the morning with the excitement as if it was your first day. Best of Luck

Do it.

We have the best business in the world.

Here's some advice:

1. Ask for help. (You're on the right track by posting here.) We're in a business that has a lot of successful people and most of them are happy to help.
2. Surround yourself with people younger and smarter than you.
3. Remember that your job is to help your clients protect their family's security against normal life events that can devastate their financial well-being. Regardless of what part of the business you are in, your job is to help them manage that risk. If you do that well, you'll make an honest living.
4. Have fun. You get to meet new people every day.
5. Repeat #1.

So I sold life and health insurance for about 12 yrs with good success but never great...was a 6 figure earner in the late 90's early 2000's. At one time had a few agents writing for me and got burned by marketing companies a couple of times.
Said no mas after the last one. Got into technology sales, doing well but just hate punching a clock and going into an office daily and everything else that goes along with the cons of working for the man. Thinking about starting part time...xyznning appts at night and on the weekends.

Looking at final expense and health/life for small business and individuals but not sure which way to turn, especially with Obamacare and whatever comes with Trump running the show...if anything. Looking for some advice on what companies, leads, etc.....give me the good the bad and the ugly. I certainly saw it when I was producing. TYIA

If you were my friend, asking me this over coffee at McDonalds, I would say there is a very good chance you are going to fail.

At an underlying level, people don't change and organizations don't change. You will find the same types of customers, coworkers and organizations now as you did in the past. Your post expresses the negatives from both your past and current experience. I see nothing that expresses an attitude base as discussed in this thread:
http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/final-expense-forum/honest-youre-broke-t89592-2.html

Should you choose to proceed, this thread presents an idea which I think is worth some investigation.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...-i-get-appoitnments-get-sales-nat-t89556.html

And one other thing you could check out:
Fireside Chat - Selling Cancer Insurance - Independent Life Insurance Agent Association

Best wishes for however you choose to proceed.
LD

You need to pick one niche and run with it. Final Expense is great. You can later add on Medicare if you want. It's a completely different market than Indy health. Pick one or the other and run with it.

If you decide to do final expense, feel free to reach out.

You are looking at 2 separate verticals. FE and the over 65 market and health/life under 65 market. I have been in the health/life space for over 30 years so I have seen the good, bad and ugly. I cannot speak for the FE market, there are folks on this forum that are far better able to address that than I. However, I enjoy what we do. Even though we have had some challenges, and I think it would be safe to say a lot of agents have left the field and gone into FE and Med Supps. Case in point, look at the stats at how many people are on the FE forum versus the Health and Supplemental Products forum, it almost 3-1. I look at this as an opportunity, in my opinion, this is a great time to be in this space. There are just as many, even more prospects now that are looking for help.

Its unfortunate that you have gotten burned before by a marketing company. When I first started in this industry, so did I. However, that just made me appreciate my core values and over the years as we built our sale organization and agency, we have never forgot that.

I cannot tell you which direction to go, that has to be your decision, but if you are going to be making a career out of this, pick the one you have a passion for and enjoy getting out of bed in the morning with the excitement as if it was your first day. Best of Luck

Thanks, I appreciate the response!

----------

Thanks Josh...for some reason I just got notified of these 2 responses.

Back