Getting Started in the Insurance industry

AIBINS said:
Hi. I am a divisional manager as well as indendent owner and producer for an organization that can help you hit the ground running while maintaining your independence. With the changes in healthcare reform it is vitally important that you work with an organization who really knows the changes but most important has positioned themselves to continue to thrive when so many others have exited the market. Although reform has changed the ways things used to be, it has opened up new doors and has allowed us to create multiple streams of income.

If you are interested in hearing about our opportunity, I encourage you to give me a call and I can do a virtual presentation for you online to show you who we are and what we do. We offer free broker tools through Norvax, lead credits for your sales, bonuses, incentives and of course trips. The important thing to understand is that we are a NON-CAPTIVE organization but still offer multiple products for indvidual health, supplement health, life insurance and Senior Health products. YOU maintain your book of business and renewals. We also offer advance commissions on 99% of our product portfolio which is important if you need to start earning income right away. You can email me at: [email protected] or call me at: 574 936-4152.

50000 1st year unlikely. Remember you have taxes and expenses. You need a back up of at least 12-18 months income to carry you through. Just keeping it real. If you do not have a reserve then you will be in for a tough ride

I’m Tracie and just getting started in the business. Just got my life and health license in the state of GA, ANY HELP on getting started would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the forum. This forum is chocked full of information. Get your drink of choice find the search button and dig in!!

Hi, I've been lurking for a while reading a lot of threads. I would like to introduce myself to the forums. I am a recently licensed captive agent in the state of Arizona (life/health and PnC) who is seriously considering switching early to independent, or some other opportunity. I've heard some bad stories about my current Co on here, and I also want to find an opportunity that can provide the most immediate income to keep food on my table. I'm in a sticky situation, since I don't have much practical knowledge yet about the insurance industry. I will probably need some training to be successful. I am fortunate enough to have a sales background already, however. I am determined, quick witted, diligent, and ethical in my sales practice. I need a place I can utilize my skills at for a living wage! I know It's a long shot, but if anyone has any advice, or if there is anyone in the Phoenix area in particular that can point me in a good direction, I would be exceedingly grateful! Warm Regards, and indeed Merry Christmas, DesertSun

Last edited:
I am in the construction business and am 40 years old. I've been thinking of a new career. Just recently got homeowners insurance and was happy with my newest quote. Had to do some searching but the new agent really made my day. That is what I would like to do for people, although I know this is not always possible. I understand that insurance brokers just deal with a basket of companies. And there are better deals by going to other brokers for a better quote. However I could sure use any information on what steps to take to get into this new carreer. I live in Washington and I don't believe I need a bachelors degree in this State. I like the idea of selling Home, auto, business etc. Am I being naive about this. I need better computer skills and need to learn everything from scratch about this business. Could use any advice on where to start with education. Thanks.

I am in the construction business and am 40 years old. I've been thinking of a new career. Just recently got homeowners insurance and was happy with my newest quote. Had to do some searching but the new agent really made my day. That is what I would like to do for people, although I know this is not always possible. I understand that insurance brokers just deal with a basket of companies. And there are better deals by going to other brokers for a better quote. However I could sure use any information on what steps to take to get into this new carreer. I live in Washington and I don't believe I need a bachelors degree in this State. I like the idea of selling Home, auto, business etc. Am I being naive about this. I need better computer skills and need to learn everything from scratch about this business. Could use any advice on where to start with education. Thanks.

First, I would start devouring this forum especially in the P&C sections, the selling and marketing sections. I would talk to as many people in the business as possible. I have a friend without a degree who went from selling oil field equipment and supplies to being an agent at Farmers Insurance. After about 6 years he was starving and he went INDY, joined a cluster and has never looked back. Now he is a successful INDY agent.

Hi I'm a newbie to the industry I recently got called for an interview with NYL and wanted to know what to expect in terms of the
1 three yr training
2 work environment
3 salary
4 work hours
5 and any info that will be help in the job and may be expect

N.B. I have no previous experience in insurance

First, I would start devouring this forum especially in the P&C sections, the selling and marketing sections. I would talk to as many people in the business as possible. I have a friend without a degree who went from selling oil field equipment and supplies to being an agent at Farmers Insurance. After about 6 years he was starving and he went INDY, joined a cluster and has never looked back. Now he is a successful INDY agent.

Hi xrac,

thanks for sharing...
your friend is really a hardworking person...
he is a great motivation...
he deserves it... :-)

Winnie

I have spent the last two days reading this very long thread. There is a wealth of information on here.

I just recently passed my exam for life, annuities, and health. I am looking at signing a PTAS with NYL. I have found very little about them on here. However, I thank the information as I was looking at Bankers. After reading about them on here I am glad that I turned them down.

My wife thinks I should sign with State Farm because every one has to have auto and home insurance by law in VA.

My wife has no interest in reading the forum. I believe NYL is a better fit. Granted it is captive but we don't have the capital nor the experience to go right into independent.

Back