Getting Started in the Insurance industry

DJWells said:
My wife has no interest in reading the forum. I believe NYL is a better fit. Granted it is captive but we don't have the capital nor the experience to go right into independent.

Pay your dues in this case learn the business with a carrier that still trains agents. My only comment on NYL is not all offices are the same and the manager is an important part of the equation. You want to know how they will help get you in front of prospects.

On the top left hand corner of this page is USER CP. Click on that and then on Edit Options. You'll see how you can change the order the posts are shown for your viewing. You will also see this:

How can I see the latest posts?
There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.

If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.
If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.

The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.

Thanks Phil - what I was curious about if there was a default setting. Thanks for the response.

I was looking for some advice as to which way would be the best way to go as far as independent or captive. I have about 3 years experience in insurance with a captive company, mostly property and casualty.
Do you think it would be better starting an independent agency or branching off and either purchasing a book of business or start a new agency with a captive company?

Lisarich, I will be glad to talk to you about your situation and plans and give you some free advice. Phil
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Suis, Thanks for providing this info for everyone. Phil

Last edited:
as an independent it will be hard to start making $ right away unless you have your mommy or daddy who is already in the business and can get you free leads and takes you by the hand! if you want to continue independent i suggest you get a job that will support your basic expenses and will allow you some days to do your independent business as you go and learn!! In this business everyone wants to contract you but the problem is how to acquire a good system to generate leads unless you are captive which leads will be secure but lower commission being an independent takes time and a lot of research to get your business going. best of luck to you. :cool:

Hello, I am a newbie here. I am studying to pass the Life & Health Certification. I am leaning towards selling like a independent agent as I feel I might be able to offer the most suitable product. You think my reasons are correct?

Please advise how I can gain experience/training in this field. I live in NJ. Any independent agencies I can look to join?

Thanks for the help/guidance

Whats up everybody ? I am new to the forums and thought i'd throw out a question or two. I am currently selling Cadillacs and I am ready for a change of pace. I have been considering insurance for a long time, and I feel now that the time is right for me. Can anybody offer some advice on what would be my best opportunity company wise ? I have read the thread on SF, and I am suprised, but at least I was able to find out about them before throwing out all of my time and money.

I am looking at Aflac, New York Life, All State and Met Life...

Any advice would be greatly appreicated !

-Matt

Hi everybody,

I am thinking about becoming an insurance agent for many different reasons. However, I am concerned that I may not be the right "type" of person for the job and I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on that and a few other questions as well.

Basically, I went to college and got a degree in physics and a masters in business administration. Graduated into a crappy economy with no jobs that really complimented by background and ended up working in retail management. (I'm the assistant manager of a selling department at a big box retail chain store and work crappy hours.) I desperately want a different career for many different reasons and have been applying to every job I believe I'm qualified for with very little luck.

That being said, I am considering a career in insurance because I feel like it would be a better use of my time than standing around dealing with random people simultaneously all day in a retail setting getting paid by the hour. I am very goal oriented and a hard worker and I feel like I could be doing something so much more productive with my time. And if I have to deal with people, I'd rather be able to give them my full 100% attention in a quiet environment with no interruptions instead of trying to help somebody while trying to answer the department phone, radio and the second and third customer that shows up and doesn't have the decency to wait until I'm done with the first costumer.

Now, the reason I say I may not be the right "type" for the job is that, as I understand it, to be a successful agent requires a somewhat outgoing personality. I won't say I'm not outgoing, but I tend to be more introverted than extroverted. Don't get me wrong. I socialize, I have friends and I talk to people (I've even sort of gotten to know some of the regulars that come into where I work), but I don't want to have to become "friends" with tons of people as a means generating business. (Though I suppose this will vary depending on the company/agency?) I'd rather just be an awesome insurance agent that listens to people and sells what meets their needs instead of having to be a "community man" that shows up at every single social event when I'd rather be doing something else. Can anybody comment on this?

Second, if I were to begin a career in the insurance industry, are there any particular companies one would recommend starting with? I'd like to have decent, comprehensive training and avoid drinking the Cool-Aid about how awesome the company's policies are or how awesome it is to work for them only to find out that the company's policies are overpriced (or are just terrible in general) in the local market which leaves me hung out to dry. (Since I'd probably be a captive agent.)

Third, how is the insurance industry doing in general? I've heard from a few of my family members that the "people they've talked to" said that it has been really rough for insurance agents lately. Is this true? (Probably depends on local economies, but would like some feedback about this nonetheless.)

Fourth, how easy is it in reality to actually start an agency and make enough to pay the bills? I see and hear about all of these large numbers (e.g. "make 50K+ your first year"), but then I hear that a lot of agents "survived on bread and water" their first five years. I'm also paying off student debt. :1arghh: So... what is the reality when it comes to starting a career in insurance?

Anyway, I have other questions, but this post is long enough for now. I'd appreciate any advice or information anyone can give me. Thank you! :cool:

Last edited:
Hello,

I have started the adventure of becoming an insurance agent! I have passed all my online life health and annuities test and did the required 40 hours online... blah. I am in Florida so there are some "extra" things required to get your license. I have also started my property and casualty and I am about half way through that. I really am starting to get concerned... I am not retaining all of the prop and cas there is sooooo much to learn and I am already signed up to set for the state in 2 weeks. Please tell me what I should set my focus on and make sure I retain so that I am able to pass this test.

Thanks,

Barrett Henry

If you are doing at home study make sure you buy the on demand video lectures. They teach you how to take the test and what to really remember. Kaplan education has a great program.

Whats up everybody ? I am new to the forums and thought i'd throw out a question or two. I am currently selling Cadillacs and I am ready for a change of pace. I have been considering insurance for a long time, and I feel now that the time is right for me. Can anybody offer some advice on what would be my best opportunity company wise ? I have read the thread on SF, and I am suprised, but at least I was able to find out about them before throwing out all of my time and money.

I am looking at Aflac, New York Life, All State and Met Life...

Any advice would be greatly appreicated !

-Matt

Scratch AFLAC and Allstate.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi everybody,

I am thinking about becoming an insurance agent for many different reasons. However, I am concerned that I may not be the right "type" of person for the job and I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on that and a few other questions as well.

Basically, I went to college and got a degree in physics and a masters in business administration. Graduated into a crappy economy with no jobs that really complimented by background and ended up working in retail management. (I'm the assistant manager of a selling department at a big box retail chain store and work crappy hours.) I desperately want a different career for many different reasons and have been applying to every job I believe I'm qualified for with very little luck.

That being said, I am considering a career in insurance because I feel like it would be a better use of my time than standing around dealing with random people simultaneously all day in a retail setting getting paid by the hour. I am very goal oriented and a hard worker and I feel like I could be doing something so much more productive with my time. And if I have to deal with people, I'd rather be able to give them my full 100% attention in a quiet environment with no interruptions instead of trying to help somebody while trying to answer the department phone, radio and the second and third customer that shows up and doesn't have the decency to wait until I'm done with the first costumer.

Now, the reason I say I may not be the right "type" for the job is that, as I understand it, to be a successful agent requires a somewhat outgoing personality. I won't say I'm not outgoing, but I tend to be more introverted than extroverted. Don't get me wrong. I socialize, I have friends and I talk to people (I've even sort of gotten to know some of the regulars that come into where I work), but I don't want to have to become "friends" with tons of people as a means generating business. (Though I suppose this will vary depending on the company/agency?) I'd rather just be an awesome insurance agent that listens to people and sells what meets their needs instead of having to be a "community man" that shows up at every single social event when I'd rather be doing something else. Can anybody comment on this?

Second, if I were to begin a career in the insurance industry, are there any particular companies one would recommend starting with? I'd like to have decent, comprehensive training and avoid drinking the Cool-Aid about how awesome the company's policies are or how awesome it is to work for them only to find out that the company's policies are overpriced (or are just terrible in general) in the local market which leaves me hung out to dry. (Since I'd probably be a captive agent.)

Third, how is the insurance industry doing in general? I've heard from a few of my family members that the "people they've talked to" said that it has been really rough for insurance agents lately. Is this true? (Probably depends on local economies, but would like some feedback about this nonetheless.)

Fourth, how easy is it in reality to actually start an agency and make enough to pay the bills? I see and hear about all of these large numbers (e.g. "make 50K+ your first year"), but then I hear that a lot of agents "survived on bread and water" their first five years. I'm also paying off student debt. :1arghh: So... what is the reality when it comes to starting a career in insurance?

Anyway, I have other questions, but this post is long enough for now. I'd appreciate any advice or information anyone can give me. Thank you! :cool:

If you have to make decent money right out of the gate you will likely fail. Insurance is probably harder than anything you have done before.

Last edited:
Back