Getting Started in the Insurance industry

"Bingo.

You've got that figured out, very perceptive!"

So I should steer clear of places like this?

I guess if it sounds to good to be true it usually is.

So I should steer clear of places like this?

I guess if it sounds to good to be true it usually is.

Spot on!

If you would like to give me a call I would be happy to give you more details about what to look for and the "scams" that many try to pull on new agents. This can be a very "dirty business" sometimes.

It pisses me off sometimes when I see what some agencies do to new agents. They make it sound soooooo good and once they get the agent's signature they don't even hardly remember his name. Why do you think that so many of us are independent agents?

I' off my soapbox now. :laugh:

I worked for a company selling life and health products for over a year and a half and my boss gave me a christmas card. Funny thing was, he had my wifes name wrong on the card. Is it that hard to know names? P.S. what a bonus! The card included a FREE honey baked ham. psh.

That is why they call it "working for yourself"..
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Taking a survey if you would be so kind. very simple.
If you had to choose to sell Famrers or Travelers which would you choose? In Virginia if that matters.

No need to explain answer unless you wish to.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am thinking of taking the leap and start scratch with my own independent agency. I am licensed in P&C and L&H, my background is in P&C mainly because I have had my own Captive agency and started from scratch and lasted about 4 years. I now am a sales manager for another large captive agency. However, I am ready to make that leap and want to open in Jan 2011. To give myself time to get set up. Anyway I have a few questions if anyone would like to give me some feedback that would be great. To cut costs I want to do it out of my house, as now days everything is done by phone, email, fax etc. Would you guys say that is ok or would you recommend having a seperate office? I plan to be strictly sole proprieter and will be dealing with the company directly. Do I need software like Pro-rater or do I simply quote directly with the company through my log in and password? Being captive we have the software through the company. I am relocating to Texas from Arizona and looking to open up shop there. I am not new to insurance just new to being independent and will value any feedback from you guys. Thank you so much.

James

make sure you a least a couple of companies the agents in your area do not represent and the company only desires one or maybe two in your area...

James (NextLevel23),

I would suggest a couple of things. First, Crump, formerly BISYS, has a great platform for independents. Their quoting software works very well and they offer a fair amount of support.

As for working from home, there are distinct pros and cons with this strategy. Obviously, the price is right and the flexibility it offers is wonderful. The downsides are perceived lack of professionalism and possibility for distractions. To counter these, consider making a place like Panera or Starbucks your quasi-office and make that part of your marketing story. For example, let people know that you choose to work from Panera (or wherever) a few days per week because it is a place that your clients prefer to meet that is close to their office. And that you find that sharing coffee or food makes for a more relaxed planning environment. Spend the other days hunkered down in your home office making calls, setting appointments, and running illustrations. Anyway you choose to manage it, make it part of your story and be deliberate and confident about it.

Another thing to consider is this: find a friend or colleague in another related business area to create an alliance with. Maybe you plan to write life and health and you know and trust someone in the P&C business (or an attorney that does estate planning) that may have an extra office you can borrow or rent inexpensively. This offers the added benefit of some shared marketing efforts and cross-pollination of your businesses. being creative in this area can offer a lot of upside with little risk.

Hope this helps and I wish you well.

I have taken the life insurance exam but didn't pass the law section so I failed the entire exam. I need answers to some of the questions that were asked on the exam that I was unable to find in my study materials.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to insurance, I got my licence a few months ago. I have interviewed with a bunch of companies and I'm thinking about Hartford Life Ins. It seems they charge for leads and the leads are for mortgage insurance and then you sell other products from there. Does anyone have any experience with them? Does this lead system work?

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

Wow, there are alot of really good responses here for someone thinking of going into insurance sales. These posts have made me really think about the decision I am making and decide if I really want to change careers.

Back