Getting Started in the Insurance industry

Hello everyone, I first want to start off by saying that this forum is amazing with all of the collective information shared here and thank you to all who have contributed. I am looking at getting into insurance, still undecided as to which particular type but I am leaning towards Life and Health.

Here is my situation; I would greatly appreciate any advice or feedback. I am currently in mortgage (own a branch, which I will be closing) and need to "hit the ground running" due to low funds. I can get by with a low income for the first few months, but would like to make at least 50K my first year. I realize this all depends on me, but I'm looking for advice as to what insurance would alot me the highest probability of doing so.

I have interviewed with MetLife, but I don't know if I will take the position. I want to go independent, but desire good training because I want to have a good foundation.
So I have a few questions.

1. Are there any good independent insurance agencies that offer good training to a newbie? I am near Kansas City.

2. Would you recommend going independent for someone who needs to make 2-3k starting by their second month?

3. How would one go about finding these companies?

4. Is Life and Health a good choice to try and make a good living through hard work on your first year?

5. Anyone know about the market in Kansas/Missouri for L&H?

Thank you guys for reading my post and any information.

Last edited:
#1 - I can get by with a low income for the first few months, but would like to make at least 50K my first year. I realize this all depends on me . . .

#2 - Would you recommend going independent for someone who needs to make 2-3k starting by their second month?

#3 - How would one go about finding these companies?

#4 - Is Life and Health a good choice to try and make a good living through hard work on your first year?

1) You yes - but build a team and don't earn alone . . .

2) Focus on writing one product for 6 months minimum. Work hard - 9am to noon and 3pm to 6pm - at least 4 days a week. Build a team and show them how to do the same.

3) You just did . . .

4) Focus on one for 6 months. Keep it simple . . .

Good Luck!

Tom

If I could only get the word out somehow - like if they allowed me to have some kind of signature link....

I can arrange an introduction to Sam, the owner of the board, if you think that might help.

Do you have something that might be helpful to KCinsuranceguy?

KC, if you want to give me a call I can talk to you about Med Supps in Missouri and raising goats. (A good "fall back" position. :D)

You will have to go to someone else for the latest regarding Part C plans. Midwestbroker would be a good one for you to talk to about them.

hey guys, After much discussion the wife and I have decided to finally make the move to sunny Orlando from Cold and bitter Fairfax VA. We will be moving in about 45-60 days. If I get my health and life license in in VA can I just transfer it over to Florida or will I have to retake the test in Florida?

You'll have to retake the exam for Florida.

Per the FL Dept. of Insurance, a letter of clearance from home state and application for FL license within 90 days of becoming a resident qualify for an exemption.

I'm not allowed to post the link, but here is the info:
Exemptions for State Examination
  • <LI class=MsoNormal>
    A letter of clearance indicating the licensee held a property and casualty license for at least one (1) year in his/her home state and applying for a license within 90 days of becoming a resident of the State of Florida; or
  • An original letter from the American Institute for Property and Liability Underwriters certifying the licensee was awarded the Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters (CPCU) designation and has been engaged in business the last 4 years.

edited to apologize. I missed it where he stated that he is GETTING his license and doesn't already have it. My bad.​

Last edited:
This is a little different from insurance, but have you considered going the stock brokerage/financial planning route? You have a financial background and you had your own office. Edward Jones sets up people in one man offices all around the country. They have good training, a starting salary, and they sell independant life insurance and annuity products. You will get all of your insurance licenses. This would allow you to use your prior financial and management skills and having run your own office you would be an attractive candidate.

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I was hoping I can get advice on becoming a new insurance agent. Currently I am working for State Farm as a sales associate. I have been there almost two years. Total I have years experience in the insurance business.

I have spoken to the Agent about my goal of becoming an insurance agent and he is willing to help me attain this goal. I have been approached by Farmer's insurance to become an agent. I know theres pro's and con's with any insurance company but I am looking for advice which way to go.

I know with state farm is a long process to get an agency whereas with Farmer's as soon as you get approved you are an agent but have to start scratch. I just don't know which way to go. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

RC

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I was hoping I can get advice on becoming a new insurance agent. Currently I am working for State Farm as a sales associate. I have been there almost two years. Total I have years experience in the insurance business.

I have spoken to the Agent about my goal of becoming an insurance agent and he is willing to help me attain this goal. I have been approached by Farmer's insurance to become an agent. I know theres pro's and con's with any insurance company but I am looking for advice which way to go.

I know with state farm is a long process to get an agency whereas with Farmer's as soon as you get approved you are an agent but have to start scratch. I just don't know which way to go. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

RC

You alone can find the right answer to this question but here are some thoughts or suggestions:

1)Read all of the following thread Insurance Agent Forum about State Farm. Based upon what I am reading there I wouldn't be eager to joing State Farm.
2)I have met very few people who wound up believing that Farmers was a great gig. Farmers seems to always be hiring.
3)I would look a around and see if there are any other opportunities that might make sense in my market: American Family, Allstate, Metlife, and Indy etc.

Latest posts

Back