Guidance for New Life Agents

I sorta do. Primarily via email, Facebook, or LinkedIn messaging. I've got a couple of agents I'm working with right now in that way.

I really should be charging for my time and expertise, or recruiting... but I really would rather just do it on the side, rather than creating a new business and focus for my time.

Thanks for asking!

I sorta do. Primarily via email, Facebook, or LinkedIn messaging. I've got a couple of agents I'm working with right now in that way.

I really should be charging for my time and expertise, or recruiting... but I really would rather just do it on the side, rather than creating a new business and focus for my time.

Thanks for asking!

Do you actually sell life insurance?

DHK, your information is dynamite! I've read every single post and you are so incredibly patient and knowledgeable.

I'm just starting out in here in South Carolina (last month) but now have licenses in 3 other states (GA, NC and TN).

The Insurance Pro Shop has my attention and interest. The information is extensive and very much worthy of consideration and a membership. Thanks to you, I found them.

It seems that the thinking of the IMO I'm currently with focuses only on direct mail with mortgage protection. It's frustrating to spend so much money for pitiful returns. Personally, I don't like direct mail pieces so I have my special way of dealing with them.

Work is nothing new to me, but there has to be a better way of making a great income while serving others too. I'm at the point in my life where it's essential to work smarter, not just harder.

Thanks for all you have done so far to help us new guys be successful!

I would like to get into the business. I live in Nebraska and have my L/H license. I am looking around and would like a base + comm position. Does anyone know any good companies in Nebraska to work for? I am looking at Mutual of Omaha, Physician Mutual, AllState, and Mass Mutual. I prefer not to be captive so I can offer one company's product and do the first right to refusal before offering a different company's products. Any thoughts about these companies I listed? I am open to any suggestions or company. From what I have read it depends on the district manager, products offered and commission structure.-

There are no base + commission options other than working for another P&C agent as a CSR or other kind of position. Some companies may give you a draw against future commissions, but that's not the same thing. Others may give you a "base", but it lasts for a maximum of up to 3 months. You could also look into working for a bank and selling annuities for the bank, or being a financial advisor assistant.

Don't be afraid of representing "one product". If you have a good product line, sell it - as long as it is a fit for the client. Clients will buy what you recommend. Clients don't necessarily know much about life insurance, so they are counting on you.

As far as comparing these companies... it should really be based on their training and development of new agents, not just the corporate infrastructure.

DHK thanks for the information. I have read all of the posts and find it very helpful. I am so glad I found this site and this board. I am a salaried employee now and may be laid off in 8 months. Your advice is priceless. I love the post. Do you actually sell insurance. ha. I never thought I would excited to cold calling until I read your posts. It gave me hope. From my understanding starting will be difficult and residuals and renewals won't come until year 2 or 3. What is your thoughts on starting to work for a company prior to Medicare enrollment period Oct - Dec.

I don't sell Med Sups, so I don't have an opinion on that. You might want to search the Senior Insurance Forum and get some ideas there.

thanks DHK I will continue to follow this board/thread. Do you mentoring for new L/H agents aka financial advisors?

Back