A Guide to P&C for New Agents and New Agencies

This is great info, I am 1 month in and in the thick of getting (and not getting appointments). My biggest challenge is getting appointments for property and of couse standard carriers. Majority of the feedback is, contact back in a few months.

I'm spending the next couple of days researching clusters.

This is great info, I am 1 month in and in the thick of getting (and not getting appointments). My biggest challenge is getting appointments for property and of couse standard carriers. Majority of the feedback is, contact back in a few months.

I'm spending the next couple of days researching clusters.

Where in NC are you?

What carriers are you going after?

What experience do you have as an agent, and then what experience in that area do you have as an independent?

NCAgent said:
Where in NC are you?

What carriers are you going after?

What experience do you have as an agent, and then what experience in that area do you have as an independent?

I'm in the Charlotte area. I'm seeking Travelers and MetLife. My ins experience is on health side and new to independent.

I've been in the business for 20+ years and this is great! Nice work. But, mostly I've been in L&H, just got my P&C about two years ago. I tried to jump out on my own right off the bat and it did not work at all.

I'm in the Charlotte area. I'm seeking Travelers and MetLife. My ins experience is on health side and new to independent.

I'm going to shoot you a PM with my cell phone number and personal e-mail address. I'm in the Charlotte area as well, maybe I can help you out a bit.

You're not going to get Travelers on your own, and if you do there isn't going to be any homeowners with it, just auto.

How long have you been independent, and how many carriers do you have right now?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So what questions have people faced that they feel should be addressed here?

What parts of this guide right now do you feel are inaccurate, or need more information?

I'm at a point now where I can keep going (for a long time, but then it's going to get random), stop, or put answers to questions I see frequently for agents/agencies.

Last edited:
Are there any other questions that people would like to see either as new agents, new business owners, or others for P&C?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Space reserved for next post, don't want things going into page 3 for information.

Last edited:
How about prospecting ? Has you prospecting changed going from a captive 2 indy? Whats worked the best as an indy for personal line for you?

How about prospecting ? Has you prospecting changed going from a captive 2 indy? Whats worked the best as an indy for personal line for you?

Do I need to provide more information than what is in the marketing plan? not a rude question, just curious.

As for prospecting, I'm hesitant to go through that because I'm not here to teach people how to sell. The point of this is to get through the P&C-specific obstacles so you CAN sell.

I'm debating on leaving what is in the marketing plan and not go into a prospecting section.

Back