Help an Aspiring Agent

maximas

Expert
First of all, what a wealth of knowledge this site is for the aspiring insurance agent. My question is basically, and I know that everyone on here seems to think poorly of AFLAC, but would it serve me well to go ahead and accept a job with them to get some practical sales experience? I currently have none. Since they will hire anyone that breathes, I figure I am a shoo-in, as I am currently breathing.

In the long-term, I would like to work in an agency such as Farm Bureau. This leads me into my next question. Can a person get hired in such an agency without taking on ownership of the agency? I have read a few posts that seem to lead one to believe this is the case – an agent signifies at least some amount of ownership. At some point, ownership would be great, but that would be years down the road.

And finally, how much would it help me if I got my property and casualty plus health and disability licensing? Would this give me a heads up? Thanks in advance!

First of all, what a wealth of knowledge this site is for the aspiring insurance agent. My question is basically, and I know that everyone on here seems to think poorly of AFLAC, but would it serve me well to go ahead and accept a job with them to get some practical sales experience? I currently have none. Since they will hire anyone that breathes, I figure I am a shoo-in, as I am currently breathing.

In the long-term, I would like to work in an agency such as Farm Bureau. This leads me into my next question. Can a person get hired in such an agency without taking on ownership of the agency? I have read a few posts that seem to lead one to believe this is the case – an agent signifies at least some amount of ownership. At some point, ownership would be great, but that would be years down the road.

And finally, how much would it help me if I got my property and casualty plus health and disability licensing? Would this give me a heads up? Thanks in advance!

Welcome! What area of Indiana are you located in? Have you applied to Farm Bureau since you are interested. Farm Bureau has advertised for an agent in Jasper here in Southern Indiana recently. Why go with AFLAC just for the punishment? You will have good experience whoever you are with as long as you knock on doors.

Thanks for the welcome, xrac. I am about forty-five (maybe an hour tops) minutes away from Jasper. I live in Southern Indiana (Salem).

I have not yet applied, but this seems like a great time to do so. Is that job listed online?

Where AFLAC is concerned, I look at it from a gaining experience perspective. I have a bachelors degree in business management, but I have no background in sales. I just thought it would be an easy way of learning the ropes - or at least getting knocked against them!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, xrac. I am about forty-five (maybe an hour tops) minutes away from Jasper. I live in Southern Indiana (Salem).

I have not yet applied, but this seems like a great time to do so. Is that job listed online?

Where AFLAC is concerned, I look at it from a gaining experience perspective. I have a bachelors degree in business management, but I have no background in sells. I just thought it would be an easy way of learning the ropes - or at least getting knocked against them!

Here is what the ad says: "Previous experience in the insurance and financial services industry is not required. After all, we understand that sometimes the best agents come from the most unlikely places. Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance does pay signing bonuses for licensed agent."

The position is currently listed on the Indiana Workforce Development job site:

Object moved

and CareerBuilder:

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSee...be04c7d0d14b92a7ee68fc2f73e801-294963159-R2-4
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
.....Where AFLAC is concerned, I look at it from a gaining experience perspective. I have a bachelors degree in business management, but I have no background in sells. I just thought it would be an easy way of learning the ropes - or at least getting knocked against them!

If that is what you are trying to do I would hook up with Combined or Western Southern. Combined is also advertising in your area. I think it would be more profitable.

Last edited:
If you can sell well, get your P&C license and go work for an existing agency. If you can't sell well, apply at a bank.

AFLAC is not a good idea for "gaining sales experience". For most people it is a waste of time, when you hire anyone with a pulse it is because you have too, not because your sales training is great.

Realize insurance is a sales business, if you accept that and are still interested, start talking too agencies in your area. Call your own auto agent and tell him your thinking of getting into the insurance business. Ask his advice on how to get started.

There are many ways to break into the business, the key is staying in the business and that hinges on your sales skills.

Thanks xrac!

I do agree with you, man, but I think I still might go to the second interview at Aflac just to see what's up with it.

My "old grey haired daddy" used to say... "you buy them books and you buy them books, and all they do is eat the covers"

Down where XRAC and me are from we call Salem, Indiana, Northern Indiana not Southern Indiana.

I agree with the advice you have been given. Start with the company you respect not one that you already think is questionable.

I personally have a bunch of friends form Aflac and its either you hate it or love it. I would suggest you making your mind of your future. Ask yourself these questions.

Do you want to own your book of business when getting clients?

Do they give you E&O insurance at no cost?

Are you Captive?

Are you paid advances or as earned?

Are you afraid of the phone?

Imagine yourself like a profession like a plumber or electrician. When you walk into a home make sure you have the tool to fit the job or insurance plans that fit your client meaning offer all the plans Health, Life, Dental, Long Term , Final expense and so on. Its hard to get clients the last thing you want to do is not be able to sell them something. When I sell a policy people enjoy my company and usually look to buy something. So if you plan on going to work with a company make sure they have all the products. If you ould like information on my company email me. Goodluck :)

Do it for the free training. Aflac will get you out and about on the 2nd day of training, and show you a good sales process.

Plus, it's free and only takes a couple of days. Once you've gotten most of the knowledge out of the way, just say that it's not for you.

You'll have some of the better cold-calling tactics down by that point.

Back