Help! Looking to Get Training to Sell L&H Over the Phone!

HawkeyeJ

I've been trying to research and get all the information I need to be able to sell Life and Health products over the phone. Here's my story. I quit my salaried position because I wanted to get into this industry over a month ago. I'm thinking this was the biggest mistake I have ever made! I took the test and got licensed in Life, Accident & Health. I wanted to hit the ground running, but it looks like that has already came and passed.
I sold P&C insurance for a major corporation in 46 states before moving to Denver, and was very successful doing so. I signed up through a company to sell multiple products. I am sure I can get a full release, as I asked for that before I started and was told that would not be any problem. I didn't receive any training pertinent to someone starting new in this industry. I just sat at home and didn't have anything to do. The promises of the best commissions, free leads, and the best training all went by the wayside...as in, NONE of that happened. I mean at least some training would be beneficial, especially for someone in my position. More of the same from the second company I contacted. They did not have the time to train someone new.
I have been in touch with a third carrier, and the guy (my would be manager??) said that webconferencing would probably be my best bet and they have agents apparently who do that. The pros would be that I could work from home, and instead of wasting time driving around, I would be able to reach more people, across state lines as well. So far, I am having trouble ever reaching my guy, getting return calls, etc...I still have received virtually zero training except for sitting in on a webconference meeting. I have not signed any contracts with them yet. In my research, I have also seen that selling over the phone can be very successful, especially selling Life products such as Final Expense. In the meantime, I have been wasting my time sitting around the house. It sounds like this current company mostly focuses on Health and I am not sure they really have anyone who does Final Expense, etc, regularly.
I apologize for the long post, but I am in desperation mode, and have to make this work! I can see how it woud work, but I just need the guidance and training in addition to make it work. Does anybody have any suggestions on companies to contract with that will provide training and also how to approach this? I appreciate in advance any advice I can get regarding this matter. Thank you.

There's a training webinar at ILIAA.org today (noon Eastern) on final expense and tomorrow (1:00 Eastern) on selling over the phone.

Keep your head down and keep on trucking. I, too, quit a job with steady pay to get into this industry and was ready to leap off of a bridge after a month. It gets better, so long as you stick with it and make sure you're learning from your mistakes. In the early going, activity is key - do something designed to get you closer to a sale.

By the way, anytime a company promises you free leads, it's usually one of two things (and, all too frequently, both):

1. Your commissions are taking an enormous hit in order to compensate for these "leads"

2. The good ones have been cherry picked by your sales managers and you're getting the C-leads (not even the B-leads!).

If you can't make the training webinar at noon, then give me a call around 1:30 and we'll chat one-on-one.

I think I may know someone, LOL

Call me, check out my testimonials on the rock star site, best training in the industry.

I've been trying to research and get all the information I need to be able to sell Life and Health products over the phone. Here's my story. I quit my salaried position because I wanted to get into this industry over a month ago. I'm thinking this was the biggest mistake I have ever made! I took the test and got licensed in Life, Accident & Health. I wanted to hit the ground running, but it looks like that has already came and passed.
I sold P&C insurance for a major corporation in 46 states before moving to Denver, and was very successful doing so. I signed up through a company to sell multiple products. I am sure I can get a full release, as I asked for that before I started and was told that would not be any problem. I didn't receive any training pertinent to someone starting new in this industry. I just sat at home and didn't have anything to do. The promises of the best commissions, free leads, and the best training all went by the wayside...as in, NONE of that happened. I mean at least some training would be beneficial, especially for someone in my position. More of the same from the second company I contacted. They did not have the time to train someone new.
I have been in touch with a third carrier, and the guy (my would be manager??) said that webconferencing would probably be my best bet and they have agents apparently who do that. The pros would be that I could work from home, and instead of wasting time driving around, I would be able to reach more people, across state lines as well. So far, I am having trouble ever reaching my guy, getting return calls, etc...I still have received virtually zero training except for sitting in on a webconference meeting. I have not signed any contracts with them yet. In my research, I have also seen that selling over the phone can be very successful, especially selling Life products such as Final Expense. In the meantime, I have been wasting my time sitting around the house. It sounds like this current company mostly focuses on Health and I am not sure they really have anyone who does Final Expense, etc, regularly.
I apologize for the long post, but I am in desperation mode, and have to make this work! I can see how it woud work, but I just need the guidance and training in addition to make it work. Does anybody have any suggestions on companies to contract with that will provide training and also how to approach this? I appreciate in advance any advice I can get regarding this matter. Thank you.

There's a training webinar at ILIAA.org today (noon Eastern) on final expense and tomorrow (1:00 Eastern) on selling over the phone.

Keep your head down and keep on trucking. I, too, quit a job with steady pay to get into this industry and was ready to leap off of a bridge after a month. It gets better, so long as you stick with it and make sure you're learning from your mistakes. In the early going, activity is key - do something designed to get you closer to a sale.

By the way, anytime a company promises you free leads, it's usually one of two things (and, all too frequently, both):

1. Your commissions are taking an enormous hit in order to compensate for these "leads"

2. The good ones have been cherry picked by your sales managers and you're getting the C-leads (not even the B-leads!).

If you can't make the training webinar at noon, then give me a call around 1:30 and we'll chat one-on-one.

That's great advice Soldeaux! I already signed up with IHIAA to get their discounted E&O coverage. OT, but the membership is $199/Yr or $19.99/mos and the E&O coverage through them is $440/Yr or you can do monthly payments, but with a $109 downpayment and $34/mos. Just thought I'd post that as most people's estimates were not realistic. Apparently I also get training and other services through them. I just attended the selling online seminar using Desktop Share...I thought it was supposed to start at 5PM EST but apparently it was not really live like they said, but rather it was already recorded, as I was able to go back and start at the beginning. There are a bunch of other training related items too, I think I am going to check that all out too. I agree, you have to be doing something to make some progress towards getting you ready for that first sale. I have been reading a few brochures on American Republic products front to back, and also their Accident and Critical Illness plans so that I can really offer the complete package should that situation come up immediately.
Yes, IMS, we have talked on the phone...thanks for your advice. I think I found the right agency, it's just not moving as quickly as I'd like. I realize that everybody is busy this time of the year it seems, so I'm taking every nugget of info I can get to prepare myself.
A word to anyone new to this industry, is to research around like a maniac before jumping in, unless you have someone on hand to personally train you. The things I have learned now I could have easily learned on the side while still keeping my job in the meantime. Unfortunately for me, the agencies I talked with all wanted someone who was ready to start full-time, not a part-timer, as they want someone who is serious and not a flake I presume, which is understandeable. I'm looking at this, in the grand scheme of things, as just a little hurdle in my path towards success. Where else can you basically start up your own business for just a few grand before starting to see results? In a year, two, or ten, I will look at this as just a minor setback that didn't really effect the outcome in the long-term.

Join the Road to Success on IHIAA, I have some stuff up there for you to check out.

That's great advice Soldeaux! I already signed up with IHIAA to get their discounted E&O coverage. OT, but the membership is $199/Yr or $19.99/mos and the E&O coverage through them is $440/Yr or you can do monthly payments, but with a $109 downpayment and $34/mos. Just thought I'd post that as most people's estimates were not realistic. Apparently I also get training and other services through them. I just attended the selling online seminar using Desktop Share...I thought it was supposed to start at 5PM EST but apparently it was not really live like they said, but rather it was already recorded, as I was able to go back and start at the beginning. There are a bunch of other training related items too, I think I am going to check that all out too. I agree, you have to be doing something to make some progress towards getting you ready for that first sale. I have been reading a few brochures on American Republic products front to back, and also their Accident and Critical Illness plans so that I can really offer the complete package should that situation come up immediately.
Yes, IMS, we have talked on the phone...thanks for your advice. I think I found the right agency, it's just not moving as quickly as I'd like. I realize that everybody is busy this time of the year it seems, so I'm taking every nugget of info I can get to prepare myself.
A word to anyone new to this industry, is to research around like a maniac before jumping in, unless you have someone on hand to personally train you. The things I have learned now I could have easily learned on the side while still keeping my job in the meantime. Unfortunately for me, the agencies I talked with all wanted someone who was ready to start full-time, not a part-timer, as they want someone who is serious and not a flake I presume, which is understandeable. I'm looking at this, in the grand scheme of things, as just a little hurdle in my path towards success. Where else can you basically start up your own business for just a few grand before starting to see results? In a year, two, or ten, I will look at this as just a minor setback that didn't really effect the outcome in the long-term.

The selling online live webinar was moved to Monday - but we have it on video in the member's section. If you want a personal selling online session just contact me.

I appreciate the advice. I just decided to check out HCO and came away impressed. I will be contacting them soon. Is Scott Slutzker the former TE for Iowa? I wish I would have found out about these guys earlier. I watched Colucci's video on the IHIAA site and learned that he was working with HCO too. If I already signed some contracts with an agency, but have not written any business yet (no training from this agency yet, weird I know, just sittin at home, watching my NetQuote leads, which probably aren't very good anyways just go through the wayside) will I have any trouble getting a full release? This is probably my biggest concern at this point.
Also, for a website, is Norvax the way to go? I heard Colucci say he doesn't use that, what other options are there? I know Norvax is used for online quoting, but doesn't Desktop Share do that for you too? Also, I'm interested in doing the dialer, sounds like Mojo is the best way to go? Sounds like I may need to get licensed in more than one state so that I can reach more areas that need to be reached.

Back