How Do I Get the Ball Rolling...??

My pleasure. Best of luck to you.

Many people have done well with local networking groups such as BNI. They probably don't have any openings in your space (insurance agents fill fast) but you can always start another group.

The local Chamber might be worthwhile to get your name out there. Also, if you're in a small town, you could sponsor a local little league team.

Ask your CLIENTS who they work with for their other professional services, then ask your clients permission to use their name when you decide to introduce yourself.

What do you do when you meet them? Give them a preview of the work you do by having them also complete a VSA Priority Planning Review and let them know that this was the exact same process that you had your mutual client complete. They can keep the form if they want, because the purpose is to introduce yourself and the work you do... for the purposes of exchanging client referrals back and forth... not for being their advisor (unless they want you to).

The focus of my job is to be selling Auto/Home, Business Policies, and Life Insurance.

Thanks…!!

We have different ideas of focus. Like as already has been mentioned you and your agent don't really know your products and you really don't have time for the catch 22 of mastering all your products. My advice pick one or two and focus on them and in regards to which will depend on your compensation and what your agent needs.

We have different ideas of focus. Like as already has been mentioned you and your agent don't really know your products and you really don't have time for the catch 22 of mastering all your products. My advice pick one or two and focus on them and in regards to which will depend on your compensation and what your agent needs.

Thanks for the feedback Norwayguy.

I agree....which is why I am leaving out the other products we sell as even though I can pitch them, the emphasis is Auto/Home & Life. He wants me to sell commercial as well, but from my initial conversations with him, in order to meet my quota and be successful in my job, I need to sell Auto & Home as well as life.

Now he has told me that if I'm killing it on the life numbers, he would easily forgive a lower P&C production....but he also feels I need to be presenting all of those products to each prospect and closing as many cross sales as possible.

I whole heartedly agree with that approach....everyone should be pitched for multi-policy sales. It's good for us but also good for the prospect as this increases their discounts by multi-lining.

In the agents defense (for lack of a better word) he did work for 1 year as a successful agency producer before entering the carriers extensive training program so I have to believe he has some experience under his belt.

Me...I'm green in this industry but I'm hoping my limited experience (about 4 months with another carrier) coupled with my 15 years of sales experience in other industries will help expedite my success in this role and industry.

Once again....much appreciated on your feed back and please guys....keep all of the ideas coming my way. Your guidance means a lot to me. :)

----------

My pleasure. Best of luck to you.

Many people have done well with local networking groups such as BNI. They probably don't have any openings in your space (insurance agents fill fast) but you can always start another group.

The local Chamber might be worthwhile to get your name out there. Also, if you're in a small town, you could sponsor a local little league team.

PCB....once again we are on the same track. I already checked into BNI, Le Tip, and some other networking groups that only take one from each industry and of course all lines of insurance are already represented.

Finding a networking group to join is going to be tough...!!

I'm considering starting my own but man....that will be a lot of work on top of everything I need to learn and do for my agency producer job (and mixing in family time). I will continue to source groups but so far....no bueno on that front.

Now from my last position, I already have some tie-ins with the Chamber of Commerce in one of the surrounding cities to where I live. I'm definitely going to be attending their networking meeting and will become active in the Chamber.

I have been Googling "networking groups" and other such words along with my city and state trying to find other groups but so far have only found the "usual suspects" (BNI, Le Tip, etc.).

Any others you know of that I should reference..?

Thanks again for the advice..!!

----------

Ask your CLIENTS who they work with for their other professional services, then ask your clients permission to use their name when you decide to introduce yourself.

Thanks DHK...!!! That's sound advice....!!!

I'm adding this to my marketing document for sure..!

Most networking groups will be referenced by the local Chambers of Commerce.... so check with them about networking groups. There may be other groups that aren't nationally known that you would end up skipping otherwise.

PCB....once again we are on the same track. I already checked into BNI, Le Tip, and some other networking groups that only take one from each industry and of course all lines of insurance are already represented.

Finding a networking group to join is going to be tough...!!

I'm considering starting my own but man....that will be a lot of work on top of everything I need to learn and do for my agency producer job (and mixing in family time). I will continue to source groups but so far....no bueno on that front.

Now from my last position, I already have some tie-ins with the Chamber of Commerce in one of the surrounding cities to where I live. I'm definitely going to be attending their networking meeting and will become active in the Chamber.

I have been Googling "networking groups" and other such words along with my city and state trying to find other groups but so far have only found the "usual suspects" (BNI, Le Tip, etc.).

Any others you know of that I should reference..?

Thanks again for the advice..!!
I know you "think" you don't have time but you really do. It's all about organizing your time. Networking groups meet in the morning typically----90 minutes per week that you should try to work into your busy schedule. It's not a lot of work either. I don't know where you live but many larger metro areas have new groups popping up all the time. Even if you have to drive to the next town over, it would be worth it.

Find a BNI America Chapter | Business Networking Referral Organization Groups | Business Network International | BNI USA

Or, start your own: http://wealthpilgrim.com/business-networking-group/

Great feedback again PCB...!! I'll look into the above links...for sure..!!

I'm in California by the way. :)

What I was thinking would eat a lot of time is not the meeting itself but the administration of the group since I would be the "owner". You know the marketing of the group (as to get more members), website development, SEO so people can find it, setting up a meeting location and venue, etc.

Also, if I had to collect monies for membership so we could pay to have places to meet up, etc. that is the "time sink" I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm wrong....I would have to look into it further.....but if the juice is worth the squeeze....I'd be all about it.

I thought one of the benefits of going captive was the training.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Rick

Hi Rick,

No You're right....and I will get the "base" systems training and product knowledge training from the carrier.

I also believe my agent will share with me his knowledge that he has gained up to this point.....but I also know that alot of my success will hinge on me "teaching myself" through trial, error, and experience.

In all of my other sales jobs in other industries, I honestly feel that a large part of my success was being willing to learn AWAY FROM and INDEPENDENTLY of the job....on my own....by reading books, watching videos, joining forums and talking to pros, or anything else that would allow me to learn.

I want to become good at this industry.

I respect all of the pros on here who put in the time and effort to be successful at what they do.

I'm sure most of those people "self taught" themselves away from whatever "starting point job" they took.

And for the ones who just jumped in and became an agent from day one...and made it....they just proved what I am saying above....power is within knowledge and experience.

I won't depend on any one person for that except myself. :)

Thanks for the reply.

Back