How Do You Get Started Selling Term?

Buff Minorcan

Guru
100+ Post Club
So I've spent most my time here reading hours worth of posts on Final Expense. Have a pretty good grasp on that, from Lincoln Heritage, to decent contracts, to lead buying, presentation, etc.

But what of term? Do you approach it the same way as FE? Mail drop leads? Cold door knock?

I know a lot of companies use the verbiage "Mortgage Insurance" to sell term. As an independent agent would you approach it the same way?

My cousin wants to buy a term policy from me right now. TransAmerica seems to have some good rates for a 30 year term on her 33 year old husband. It would be great to deal with middle class young(ish) couples that want protection, just not sure how to go about finding them.

So I've spent most my time here reading hours worth of posts on Final Expense. Have a pretty good grasp on that, from Lincoln Heritage, to decent contracts, to lead buying, presentation, etc.

But what of term? Do you approach it the same way as FE? Mail drop leads? Cold door knock?

I know a lot of companies use the verbiage "Mortgage Insurance" to sell term. As an independent agent would you approach it the same way?

My cousin wants to buy a term policy from me right now. TransAmerica seems to have some good rates for a 30 year term on her 33 year old husband. It would be great to deal with middle class young(ish) couples that want protection, just not sure how to go about finding them.

I can not her life you on the marketing end. I started a long time ago. My way does not translate into today's terms. Also you need to give more information. What are you comfortable with? Door knocking, multiple websites? How much money do you have? Does your wife work or are you dole support? There are a lot of variables.

I do not use terms like mortgage insurance or burial insurance. Although I have sold a half dozen life insurance policies this week that will help pay off mortgages and burials. I feel I limit my self if I am saying Mortgage. What if the Mortgage is down to $200,000. That is all they need in their mind. Or burial I limit myself to $15,000 - $20,000.

Def not the door knocking type. I would be interested in lead options, via DM or telemarketed I suppose. Aged leads seem like a waste but maybe not so much for Term?

As for my financial situation it's just me. I have enough money in the bank to invest in this and I assume last for about a year. But I sure would like to be on a path where I'm making money in my first month and not just spending.

I have a lot of sales experience. Wouldn't call myself a pro and there is always room for improvement. Just pointing out I'm not completely knew to talking to people and selling them products/services.

Def not the door knocking type. I would be interested in lead options, via DM or telemarketed I suppose. Aged leads seem like a waste but maybe not so much for Term?

As for my financial situation it's just me. I have enough money in the bank to invest in this and I assume last for about a year. But I sure would like to be on a path where I'm making money in my first month and not just spending.

I have a lot of sales experience. Wouldn't call myself a pro and there is always room for improvement. Just pointing out I'm not completely knew to talking to people and selling them products/services.

My opinion on term is that it is a good bit more work for not as much return. For instance, my personal policy with SBLI is around $100/month 20yr term for $3 million. The APS and paramed were a PITA.

I choose FE because it is simple and quick. I've got term and UL in my bag when the need arises...with nonFE companies. But it takes some networking, IMO, to land those big UL cases.

At the end of the day, it's what you will enjoy the most. I like the horror show that is my life right now...go see my post in the funny stories thread...I say horror show because if I said S!*t show it'd probably get deleted.

----------

I can not her life you on the marketing end.

I have no idea what the hell this is supposed to say ;)

My opinion on term is that it is a good bit more work for not as much return. For instance, my personal policy with SBLI is around $100/month 20yr term for $3 million. The APS and paramed were a PITA.

I choose FE because it is simple and quick. I've got term and UL in my bag when the need arises...with nonFE companies. But it takes some networking, IMO, to land those big UL cases.

At the end of the day, it's what you will enjoy the most. I like the horror show that is my life right now...go see my post in the funny stories thread...I say horror show because if I said S!*t show it'd probably get deleted.

----------

I have no idea what the hell this is supposed to say ;)

I went on a f2f appointment today do I was posting on my phone.

Sad to I can not help on the marketing. I love term when it terms out. I gave a couple IN deals that will probably be low 5 figure conversations this month.

Back