How to go independent in California to sell P&C

GoneJee

Hi,

Can anyone provide some guidelines of how to become an independent P&C insurance agent in the state of California? What are the steps involved etc.?

I have already got my P&C license, and worked in a local insurance agency as a Producer. I left this agency and thinking to go on my own. The California State insurance department web site still shows my license number and name as appointed by the local insurance agency I worked for.

What are the steps do I need to take in order to go on my own selling P&C insurance? Do I need to get a Ficticious Business Name such as "GoneJee Insurance Services" at the LA County Recorder office? And then get my own E&O? What else is needed? Do I need a security bond, and if yes, where and how to get it?

I was thinking to start selling Worker's Comp niche and focus on it first before getting on other products. Is this a good way to go?

thanks for any advice,
GJ

First off, get your name off of your old agency's license. Go to California Department of Insurance and find the form "Endorsee Self Termination Notice" and get your name off that license. Your old agency is supposed to do it, but take matters into your own hands. Trust me, there are many ways your old agency can screw you.

Everything else is a matter of how you want to go about setting up your business. You have it covered on your post. It will be hard to get appointments at first, so set yourself up with good GA.

thanks, do you have any idea where can I find info of how to setup security bond to be an independent agent?

Back