How Knowledgeable Were You in Insurance when You First Started?‏

12VII

Good morning everyone,

I'm scheduled to get my property and casually license the first of June. I already have my accidental life and health insurance. I am now getting ready to get my property and casually so I can work at State Farm. When I was studying for life I was expected to take it within 10 days and pass but it ended up taking the a month.

I was so nervous that I was going to fail and I didn't know what to expect from the exam but I should have known earlier because this is actually the second time I went to take a state exam for licensing the first time I got my license was in cosmetology and it was in the same testing facility so now that this is the third time I know what to expect I'm still nervous that I may not score high enough due to all the material that I have to learn in property and casualty.

It's become very overwhelming for me for the past month I've been studying from 12 p.m. to 3:00 in the morning. It got to a point where my family took away my computer, they gave me the car and sent me outside to go and do something else instead of studying because I was overworking myself but I can't help but think I don't want to fail and I want to get this right, At the same time I'm so focused on trying to pass.

Unfortunately, I was with the last company long enough. I was working for American Income Life & business long enough for me to under understand what I was actually doing. Heck, it took me a month to memorize the script they gave us. So now that I'm trying this again but not only will I be selling life but property and casualty.

I worry how well will I be able to perform upon getting my license.

Anyone who just got their license or for people who have been in the insurance business for years when you first got your license and started working captive how well were you able to perform?

Were you very knowledgeable about the products did you ask a lot of questions?

Was your mentor helpful and knowledgeable or was it a complete mess?

I'm scared when I start working for another company they'll throw me out in the field with no knowledge and I don't want that I want somebody to guide me in the right direction before I start working on my own I hope that makes sense. Just stressing over this a little too much and I'm hoping some insight from other people help me calm my nerves thank you in advance.

State Farm should give you good training and support unless this is a new agency with an agent who is still green behind the gills. I am curious as to what kind of pay arrangement that you have. Are they paying you commission only or what? Why are you so afraid?

Every successful endeavor utilizes systems and methods... including studying.

If you're truly studying for 15 hours per day, you're not doing something right.

Now, for full disclosure, I never took a P&C license exam. I have taken my L&H, Series 7, Series 66, 8 ChFC exams, and 1 LUTCF exam... so I know a few things about taking tests.

First, you need to know the vocabulary of the industry. Knowing what words mean is 50% of understanding test questions.

Second, immerse yourself in taking practice exams. Once you're averaging 85%+, then get practice exams from another provider.

Now, when you're taking practice tests, figure out what you got wrong. You probably misunderstood an industry term. Learn that term. Create flash cards and just go through them on a regular basis.

The day before your exam... STOP studying. By this time you either know it or not. No sense in trying to do any cramming. Have a good night's sleep and have a good breakfast.

Now, that being said, there WILL be some kind of training that your agency should be giving you. If not, there are other systems & programs that you can buy that can help you have the infrastructure, systems, and methods you need to run a quality service operation and be productive and profitable.

But until you can get a handle on your studying... you won't be a good fit for this business.

Remember: The exam is often considered an IQ test. The purpose of the license is to be sure that you're competent enough to be held accountable and regulated by the state regarding insurance matters.

But if you can't pass the exam, and if you can't organize yourself enough to study effectively... then perhaps this business isn't for you.

Good luck.

State Farm should give you good training and support unless this is a new agency with an agent who is still green behind the gills. I am curious as to what kind of pay arrangement that you have. Are they paying you commission only or what? Why are you so afraid?

I'm not currently employed. When I was at American income, it was 100% commission, I finally got a paycheck after being there for 3 months and it was less than $100.

I spoke a State Far agent a few weeks back, He just opened his own office. He actually was the one whom put me on to P&C because I did't know I needed that to work in other agencies. But Since He is looking for some with more experience, I found another SF agent close by that has been around for years.

I guess my fear comes from the unknown, To Immerse myself in a new environment and its not like I knew people who sold insurance. Having now background in it, I'm sure people question "why would she sell insurance?" and think I'm incapable of doing my job.

I don't know what state you are in but that book and those practice tests have so little to do with the day to day job you will be doing.

Make flash cards and lots of them. Answer the questions on the test don't keep second guessing and going back and forth changing answers on it. Your first instinct is usually correct.

Unless you are the girl with the license that answers the phone the number one thing is you have to be able to sell. You learn as you go and if you have no quotes and no customers your not learning. I have never been captive but I started my agency from scratch after being in Life and Health for 6 years. Day one I sat at the computer and popped my info into the rating system and sold myself a auto policy, the very first quote I had ever done in fact. The more quotes I got the more I started to learn. Its been over 3 years and I still visit this site almost everyday for knowledge and help.

The fact that you could not sell life insurance scares me because this is a sales oriented business. With that in mind take a salaried position with a guaranteed pay. Make sure your boss is upfront about your sales quotas.

I don't know what state you are in but that book and those practice tests have so little to do with the day to day job you will be doing.

Make flash cards and lots of them. Answer the questions on the test don't keep second guessing and going back and forth changing answers on it. Your first instinct is usually correct.

Unless you are the girl with the license that answers the phone the number one thing is you have to be able to sell. You learn as you go and if you have no quotes and no customers your not learning. I have never been captive but I started my agency from scratch after being in Life and Health for 6 years. Day one I sat at the computer and popped my info into the rating system and sold myself a auto policy, the very first quote I had ever done in fact. The more quotes I got the more I started to learn. Its been over 3 years and I still visit this site almost everyday for knowledge and help.

The fact that you could not sell life insurance scares me because this is a sales oriented business. With that in mind take a salaried position with a guaranteed pay. Make sure your boss is upfront about your sales quotas.

When I was at American Income I spent most of my time making calls for other managers and learning my script, They would not let me go out by myself until I perfected the script. But the time I was able to go in the field I had to quit (due to medical issues).

When I came to writing policies everything was on the computer. I don't know how different burial insurance is from property and casualty but I assume its alot harder. Plus we were given leads, I was never taught how or where to get my own.

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but for for complete newbie, I have no clue where to start or what to expect. That's why I hope working for a company like State Farm will show Me the ropes

BTW: I'm in SC and I use TestTeachers I started back in May and studied nonstop. Because I didn't complete the study program within the 2 week period, I worried how well I would do. (I needed almost 2 week to study the commercial property section, I don't know how you people can study that in 1 day.:nah:)

----------

When I was at American Income I spent most of my time making calls for other managers and learning my script, They would not let me go out by myself until I perfected the script. But the time I was able to go in the field I had to quit (due to medical issues).

When I came to writing policies everything was on the computer. I don't know how different burial insurance is from property and casualty but I assume its alot harder. Plus we were given leads, I was never taught how or where to get my own.

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but for for complete newbie, I have no clue where to start or what to expect. That's why I hope working for a company like State Farm will show Me the ropes

BTW: I'm in SC and I use TestTeachers I started back in May and studied nonstop. Because I didn't complete the study program within the 2 week period, I worried how well I would do. (I needed almost 2 week to study the commercial property section, I don't know how you people can study that in 1 day.:nah:)

I'm sure the test seems overwhelming but the real work comes after. I began working in P&C insurance just over a year ago. I learned more on my first few quotes than I did by studying. Studying for and passing the test gives you the general knowledge and verbage; talking with people teaches you how to sell insurance. You will learn something from every quote. Get organized and put in place a way to quickly find answers (cheat sheets, links to guidelines and procedures). If you need time to look something up, change the conversation away from insurance to get the person talking while you are trying to find the answer. Before long, you will have most everything memorized.

Good Luck!

State Farm should give you good training and support unless this is a new agency with an agent who is still green behind the gills.

Can a newly licensed agent walk into a State Farm office where they would like to work (i.e. for a veteran agent, close to home, etc.) and try to get a job with that specific agency? Or do you have to go through corporate and work where they assign you?

Tell me one bad reason why stopping into a local insurance agency and asking about open positions would be seen as a negative thing?

Just walk in and ask... and let THEM tell you.

No school will 100% prepare you for the real job. Mostly even 10% would be a success.. you will get into it while working it just take some extra effort in the beginning. Than you just need to keep yourself in a loop. You never stop learning in insurance business.

Latest posts

Back