How to Prospect for Life Insurance Sales?

Top Gun is a good site if you want to learn how to do door to door business door knocking. The guy who runs the site is kind of a tyrant, but he's absolutely the person to listen to on this topic. He's a no-BS straight shooter. Knowledgeable as hell.

Top Gun is a good site if you want to learn how to do door to door business door knocking. The guy who runs the site is kind of a tyrant, but he's absolutely the person to listen to on this topic. He's a no-BS straight shooter. Knowledgeable as hell.

I hear a lot of good things about his website and him.

But he does run the website like an Army.

Internet leads are bad. Talking to people at the local store= good. The other day I helped jump start a car for a young mom with kids. In the parking lot of a big box store. You bet I asked her about her life insurance.

Internet leads are bad. Talking to people at the local store= good. The other day I helped jump start a car for a young mom with kids. In the parking lot of a big box store. You bet I asked her about her life insurance.

How did you start the conversation?

bballer, here's something you may want to consider. Decide on an angle and run with it. It's the "tip of the spear" strategy, getting your foot in the door with a specific product and then expanding from there. So, for example, if you want to target businesses with life insurance...

... use WL and UL for bonuses and non-qualified deferred compensation to reward and motivate top performers

... use Term and UL for key person life insurance

... use WL and UL for the business owner to protect his family and create a low-risk retirement account

Choose a couple of good life insurers, tell them what you want to do, and they'll provide you with more training information than you stand. Three that come to mind, that would give you a good mix of life products and good materials, would be Ohio National, ING and Allianz, but there are tons of others.

Pick an angle, focus like a laser beam, learn the products inside and out, and go for it. And if you're targeting businesses, hitting the streets with door-knocking and creating leads groups is relatively easy.

Last edited:
One long term suggestion: collect business cards from everyone you meet, and keep a small journal with you. Get an email address and ask or estimate age/income/business type/family. ask for permission to send them your newsletter. sign up for something like constant contact and add the contact info. now make sure that every two weeks/every month you send out an email with helpful educational info. never any sales info. never a pitch. get info about new product ideas from your bga and your carriers. over the course of years you will become the expert who is paying attention to these people. two years from now you will get regular ongoing calls forever.

Back