How to start as an independent agent in Florida?

FL INSURANCE

Expert
Hello people, I have read several of the post on this site and there is plenty of great information...I've just passed my insurance test and am looking to start off as an independant, my questions are what are the essentials needed to begin?

I see that someone has asked this about California but I would figure that Florida would be diifferent.
All of your input is very much appreciated, thanx

Re: How do I start as an independent agent in Florida?

Im interested in starting out in the individual health and senior supp market, then expanding from there..but from what i have read in the forum is that you must learn one first

Im interested in starting out in the individual health and senior supp market, then expanding from there..but from what i have read in the forum is that you must learn one first

Something you want to do locally (where?) or all over Florida?

It looks like you are newly licensed...tough to start independent with no experience. What's your background and capital position?

all over florida...i come from a sales background and have some money to invest, i have also been sitting in a boilerroom type atmosphere for about 3 weeks and have learned a few things (leads, phone talk, underwriting) but havent really sold anything there...but i have the drive to do whatever it takes to make this happen...i really dont want to work there because they are getting commish cut huge and i can afford to buy the leads myself

all over florida, ive also been sitting in a boilerroom type office for 3 weeks and pretty much see that they just buy leads and thats it...i can do that myself and keep all commish...i come from sales atmosphere and i believe i can do this..thanx for your input

Last edited:

Here's my honest advice:

Drive alone won't do it. Everybody wants to do well.

Stay in the call center for six months to a year. Make mistakes and learn on their nickel. Save your money.

Start to formulate a plan. Quantify it.

Back