How to Start Your Own Independent Agency Without Insurance Sales Experience

As long as you have very high contracts you can recruit agents at any commission level lower than yours & make it worth it. If you're at a 140% you can recruit people at 80% all day long & that's 60% off every sale they do right in your pocket.....How can you lose? There's people working for primerica making 25% commission on their sales & they're making a living. Mind = blown. Really this is the best business you could ever start & don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Last edited:
As long as you have very high contracts you can recruit agents at any commission level lower than yours & make it worth it. If you're at a 140% you can recruit people at 80% all day long & that's 60% off every sale they do right in your pocket.....How can you lose? There's people working for primerica making 25% commission on their sales & they're making a living. Mind = blown. Really this is the best business you could ever start & don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Your signature is intriguing, especially since just two months ago you were asking if your 60% contract was worth it.

That's a huge bump in such a short time. What's your secret?

Define making a living......and for whom?

It takes a long time to make a living, so expect to have 5 years of reserves. You'll be investing money in the business long before you can take out of it. Join an association to meet others you can team up with.

Re: Need Help Starting An Independent Agency

Does anyone know: Is it possible to start an independent insurance agency in the state of California with no insurance experience? I have 20 years of business ownership experience. I am licensed to sell PC and Life/Health within CA. I don't need help finding clients. I need help learning how to write policies and how to get appointed with multiple carriers.

How do you get or going to get clients?

Re: Need Help Starting An Independent Agency

Does anyone know: Is it possible to start an independent insurance agency in the state of California with no insurance experience? I have 20 years of business ownership experience. I am licensed to sell PC and Life/Health within CA. I don't need help finding clients. I need help learning how to write policies and how to get appointed with multiple carriers.

For Life/Health insurance its easy to get contracts but if you are looking for P&C contracts you will have to go through an a wholesaler or 'aggregator' starting out to gain access to writing home/auto/commercial insurance accounts. A few that come to mind are Agent Secure, SIAA and Iroquois group. All have different fees and non compete concerns. Do your research and see which is the best fit.

Good luck!

Back