I Was Doing "_________" Before Insurance..

Property maintenance and management for over 23 years. 5 of those years as a regional sales equipment and education manager for a very large distributor, 3 of those years as a VP of sales and marketing for a mid size building service contractor where I was headhunted to over haul and re engineer their entire operation. 15 of those years self employed and chief bottle washer. And now I am here :yes:

Based on your posts, I would bet you were very good at your job, the union was probably lucky to have you.

I enjoyed that job more than any other. I didn't enjoy organizing much even though I was good at it.

But, negotiations, arbitrations, worker advocate, etc., I loved all of that. The Appalachian Council was more of the education wing of the AFL-CIO. We were under contract with the US Dept of Labor. My job there was to primarily deal with the Job Corps. My area was all of Ky, most of Indiana, Southern Il and northwest Tn. I networked with employers to find jobs for graduating students from the trades offered at the Job Corps centers across the country.

Once I found a job for them I would then relocate them to the area of the job. Help them find housing and transportation. I would also monitor then for 90 days to make sure they were going to work and performing at work to the employer's specifications. That was very rewarding work. I still hear from regularly from many of those students. Especially the ones that are still on the job that I helped them get years and years ago.

I was more fortunate to have found the union than they were to have me. As to how good at it I was? I have awards as the number one field coordinator with the Application Council but I would say the most telling is that while working at the plant you have to be elected to all of those positions I listed. And the rank and file voted in our elections as opposed to being voted on by delegates. I never lost an election in my 18 years of working in the plant.

I enjoyed that job more than any other. I didn't enjoy organizing much even though I was good at it. But, negotiations, arbitrations, worker advocate, etc., I loved all of that. The Appalachian Council was more of the education wing of the AFL-CIO. We were under contract with the US Dept of Labor. My job there was to primarily deal with the Job Corps. My area was all of Ky, most of Indiana, Southern Il and northwest Tn. I networked with employers to find jobs for graduating students from the trades offered at the Job Corps centers across the country. Once I found a job for them I would then relocate them to the area of the job. Help them find housing and transportation. I would also monitor then for 90 days to make sure they were going to work and performing at work to the employer's specifications. That was very rewarding work. I still hear from regularly from many of those students. Especially the ones that are still on the job that I helped them get years and years ago. I was more fortunate to have found the union than they were to have me. As to how good at it I was? I have awards as the number one field coordinator with the Application Council but I would say the most telling is that while working at the plant you have to be elected to all of those positions I listed. And the rank and file voted in our elections as opposed to being voted on by delegates. I never lost an election in my 18 years of working in the plant.

Pretty cool my dad was a big union guy also.

Fun thread...well I started an entertainment company in college, DJ and pub trivia nights at bars (still have it), went into investment banking for a brief couple of years, started buying preschools (mt wifes passion) and right before this idependent sales/marketing consulting with small to medium size firms.

Fun thread...well I started an entertainment company in college, DJ and pub trivia nights at bars (still have it), went into investment banking for a brief couple of years, started buying preschools (mt wifes passion) and right before this idependent sales/marketing consulting with small to medium size firms.

I was a professional chicken dancer. :-)

Latest posts

Back