I Want to Start with Garagekeepers- Garage Liability

sixcoronas

This is my first post. I've been reading and searching for a few days. Great resource here. I'm glad I've found it.

I have an established business serving independent auto dealers and and auto repair shops. I've been doing this for 15+ years.

I want to start offering commercial lines to my clients. It's a niche market market and I see a need that I believe I can cover.

I have had my P&C for a few years, kept up with my CE and have A&O, but I've never done anything with it. I'm not completely green, but I'm sure there is plenty for me to learn.

My goal is to slowly build a book of business and gradually make this the primary focus of my business. I have an home office and no employees. I could see getting an office and staff in a few years if this is successful.

I have spoken with Smart Choice and they seem to be a little weak in my specialty market. I've considered reaching out to an established agency and inquire about being a producer.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Talk to appalachian underwriters. Relatively low annual fee, which can be waived if you produce dnough, and they have markets specifically targeting dealers, repair shops, and w/c. They have other lines you can supplement with as well. Direct appointments will be hard to come by if you have no experience.

Offering garage keeps insurance alone would be a mistake. Those businesses also must have general liability, building coverage, workers compensation and perhaps auto. You will need to offer all of these.

Unfortunately, P&C isn't something that is well suited to 'starting slowly' on your own. This is for many reasons:

- The cost of having your doors open on a monthly / annual basis is pretty high. From E&O insurance to raters to everything else, dabbling can be expensive.

- Carriers want production. Well, the better carriers do. You can work around this a bit, but it costs extra as in usually lower commissions. You wont get and keep solid carriers without a firm commitment to producing. In some areas, you need to have a track record of production to get the appointment.

- No office. Some carriers are okay with this, many aren't. You might be okay if the carriers you need will allow it, at least up front.

In the pro column:
- Niche markets are awesome. Its the fastest / easiest way to be seen as the person with the answers and become the go to person to solve the problem.
- You have an existing client base to leverage.

Good luck!

Dan

Thanks guys. I'm well aware that I would need to offer other policies than just garage keepers.

When I say starting slowly, I mean that I am not dependent on income from it. I'm willing to dedicate almost full time hours to it. I just need a round or 2 of golf every week.;)

I'm sitting on a contract with Smart Choice. It seems easy enough to get started. My concern is that they only offer 2 commercial line plans and I have no idea if they will be competitive on rates.

Would I be better off reaching out to an existing agent that specializes in the same market and working as a producer?

My end goal is in 5-10 years is for this to be the main focus of my business and have my children working with me.

My two cents.. since it sounds like you have some connections at garages. Talk to them. see what insurance carriers they have and who has good coverage at a good price. and find a way to work with that insurance company.You shouldn't have to much of a struggle at least figuring out if smart choice is right if you get a looksie at a few policies in your area.

Back