I'm As Green As They Come...

TBTK

I passed the State license exam yesterday. I am looking for some pointers as to which direction to go. I am in central Florida and i'm thinking my market is 55+/Seniors. I am interested in FE and Supplement but I really only want to start with one or the other so that I can "Master" it so to speak. I am open to suggestions however.

I do not have alot of money to start out with, I have been living on workers comp wages for the last 7 months. The injury that kept me from working is what has lead to my intersts in the Insurance field. I needed to find something that was less physical.

The last 12 years I have worked for the local cable company. I am used to meeting with customers and fixing their problems. I see this as a similar transition but instead of fixing short term problems I will be addressing there long term ones. The majority of my customers were Seniors and I always established a good rapport with them.

I ultimately want to be an independant agent but given my situation i'm not sure if this is the best way to start out.

If any of you old salts have any advice for another noob, I am all ears. Thank You for your time.

Congratulations on passing the exam!

You can get started in Medicare Supplements without much money. All you need is an unlimited phone line, a decent computer, and a scrubbed list. (Although you may want to market a state other than Florida) Check out Chris Westfall's site, medicareagenttraining.com

Last edited:
Medicare Supplements can be a great business unless you expect to make a living in the first year or two. It's the renewals that add up.

I agree that selling in FL may not be the best idea for supplements since the state is pretty much dominated by one company which also has about the lowest rates (although that's changing a bit).

You might consider selling more ancillary productions that are a bit off the mainstream for most agents. Cancer insurance or critical illness comes to mind.

Rick

I passed the State license exam yesterday. I am looking for some pointers as to which direction to go. I am in central Florida and i'm thinking my market is 55+/Seniors. I am interested in FE and Supplement but I really only want to start with one or the other so that I can "Master" it so to speak. I am open to suggestions however.

I do not have alot of money to start out with, I have been living on workers comp wages for the last 7 months. The injury that kept me from working is what has lead to my intersts in the Insurance field. I needed to find something that was less physical.

The last 12 years I have worked for the local cable company. I am used to meeting with customers and fixing their problems. I see this as a similar transition but instead of fixing short term problems I will be addressing there long term ones. The majority of my customers were Seniors and I always established a good rapport with them.

I ultimately want to be an independant agent but given my situation i'm not sure if this is the best way to start out.

If any of you old salts have any advice for another noob, I am all ears. Thank You for your time.

I second Westfall's site for learning Medicare Supplements.
MedicareAgentTraining.com - Medicare training on how to sell Medicare Supplements by phone

You can get unlimited scrubbed lists for $50.
ListShack.com | Unlimited Sales Leads

Good luck!:)

thomasm and GreenSky, Thank You for the links, I will check them out for sure.

I have to ask though, why is the supplement market in FL not so good? I don't expect to retire in my first year but I do need to make enough to pay the bills. Is that at least a reality with supplement? I'm not afraid of hard work or putting in the hours.

goillini52, thanks for the link for the leads as well.

From what I hear Med sups are more expensive in Florida, and Medicare Advantage is heavily marketed.

But I'm sure there's still a market there and higher premiums means higher commissions!
Plus you got some really great states right above you to call in!

thomasm and GreenSky, Thank You for the links, I will check them out for sure.

I have to ask though, why is the supplement market in FL not so good? I don't expect to retire in my first year but I do need to make enough to pay the bills. Is that at least a reality with supplement? I'm not afraid of hard work or putting in the hours.

If you need to pay the bills you may not earn enough in the 1st year selling Medicare supplements. If the average annual commission is $300, you need to sell 10 a month to gross $36,000 - and that's if you get a 12 month advance. Knock off your marketing costs and you're still getting food stamps.

There are a number of webinars you can access on the link below. Otherwise, just shoot me an email with your contact information and let's talk.

Rick

Back