I'm Having Fear of Failure, Any Advice?

I'm starting training tomorrow where I ride along with a manager of an agency to seniors' houses to consult them on medicare, med supp, med advantage, LTC, Annuities, etc..

Although I think I'll do fine, I'm unsure of how I will like being in my car all the time, walking up to doors, and actually presenting to seniors.

I'm good with talking with mostly anybody, but will this anxiety of walking into a stranger's home subside? Is this what separates the boys from the men?

I used to think the closing part would scare me, but that seems like it may be the easier part of this job.

Any suggestions/ philosophies to help me out?

Thanks!

It's not what separates the man from the boys. People have different levels of comfort. If some don't mind cold-calling it doesn't make them "better" than anyone else.

The truth is the people who do not like cold calling don't get "over it." If you don't like it now you won't like it after your 1000'th door.

You'll have to go out tomorrow and trust your gut. At the end of the day if you're feeling is "this just isn't me" don't worry. There are a lot of ways to gain clients.

I'm starting training tomorrow where I ride along with a manager of an agency to seniors' houses to consult them on medicare, med supp, med advantage, LTC, Annuities, etc..

Although I think I'll do fine, I'm unsure of how I will like being in my car all the time, walking up to doors, and actually presenting to seniors.

I'm good with talking with mostly anybody, but will this anxiety of walking into a stranger's home subside? Is this what separates the boys from the men?

I used to think the closing part would scare me, but that seems like it may be the easier part of this job.

Thanks!

What did the person training you say when you discussed it with him/her?

:cool:

Thanks!

This in no way reflects on you or how you'll do, but....I hated working with someone else when I was presenting products to sale, especially managers and sales managers. Just didn't like it. I always did better by myself, but you'll learn a lot from them. Good luck....stay as calm as you can. I'm sure you'll do well.

It is normal to be anxious about cold calling, especially in a new environment, I certainly was. However, if you can realize that the people you call on are going to be better off having met with you, and you truly believe that, the anxiety will eventually dissipate. Remember, cold calling doesn't have to last forever, if you do the right job you can get prospects in different ways. Cold calling is part of the dues you pay, IMO. I hated it so much I would throw up sometimes, but it was a forcing mechanism to eventually ask for referrals and develop different prospecting tools. Everything depends on what you think about the service you provide.

I don't like riding along or being ridden with. I do what you are talking about all the time. It is what I do and I am real comfortable with it, but I like doing it alone. Jump through the hoops, learn the presentation, prepare a pitch book that allows you to follow your own script with your own personal story, and go forth...

If you don't like it, go to a P$C office and sit at a desk waiting for the customers to come to you. Ten hours a day... ;)

Thanks!

Before I started in insurance I worked for 2 months as a futures broker. I wanted to kill myself everyday on my way back home. IMO selling insurance is really easy compared to other commodities. If you know how to shut up and ask questions - seniors love to tell you all about it - you've got nothing to be nervous about.

I'm working the same market doing basically the same techniques. Now we have loosely set appointments which, is basically a "prospect" expecting someone to "drop off" some information about XYZ product. they were telemarketed to expect someone around 2:00. That's it.

I was shocked at how many people would let us in especially, single women letting two men in their home when they were just expecting someone to drop something off. I had a few restless nights thinking about if I could do it or not. I'm usually not a great opener in social situations however, like you, once it warms up, I begin to get more control. But I would think closing people can be harder than getting in the door. Since you are just starting, your manager, will show you how easy it is. Then again, I've had people basically close the door on me when I would not immediately just hand them some information. It's only been about 2 out of 30 though.

In my first three weeks, I was given about 40 "appointments." I got into about 20 homes(remember some people don't answer their door or forget about your appointment). The good news is I sold 8 MAPDs and hospital indemnity plans. The bad news is that is only equal to about $1300 in commissions payable to me and that's if everything goes through underwriting.

I've been looking real hard to get some FE sales on these appointments and I have a "go back" tomorrow morning to write a FE application.

It's really fun and exciting but I think there's a better way. I'm working on it. I do really like the senior market.

Don't have fear as long as you've got some way of paying your bills in the short term. Getting in the house is no big deal and you will generally be invited in and welcomed! Good luck.

There is risk in whatever you do, even working a 9to5 job for someone else. Just focus on what you can control and let the rest take care of itself. Anxiety is normal when you first get started. The phone felt like it weighed 20lbs when I first got started. Bluemarlin is right, believe in what you do and as you get experienced dealing with calling people, it gets much easier.

I also reviewed a book on my blog today that I just "rediscovered". It may be worth your time to see if your local library has a copy.

Last edited:
Back