Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance

Reply to Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC?     
Old 06-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
Super Genius
entrep1776 on Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC?

State: entrep1776 is an Insurance Agent from
Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC? Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC?
Any help/advice on what kind of entity to establish?

I currently have a sole proprietor for my rental business. Which was fairly inexpensive.

I think it's about $400 to incorporate in Illinois. Which I want to avoid $400.

Would a sole proprietor be ok to get started? in IL have to advertise in newspaper for Doing Business As (DBA) before being able to get bank account opened. Maybe E&O cheaper with LLC? or less liability?

Appreciate others experience.

------------------------------------
If you wouldn't say it to someone in real life, why would you type it to someone on the Internet?
  Reply With Quote to Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC?
Old 06-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
DHK
Guru
DHK on Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC?

State: DHK is an Insurance Agent from California
DHK is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC? Re: Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC?
Is an LLC Necessary?

Because you are a licensed individual responsible for your advice and actions, there is no 'asset protection' available for your actions as an insurance agent - regardless of the line of insurance you sell.

There may be other reasons to form an LLC or a corporation, such as if you hire employees (assistant, CSRs, etc). If employees were to sue you, you could be protected by having a business entity because such a suit would be separate from your actions as an insurance agent.

Just my thoughts and not to be taken as legal advice.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC?
Reply to Independent Agency Entity Type LLC, DBA, INC? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance