IMO Vs FMO Vs MGA Vs GA

Okay, now that I have posted a few times and so far everyone has been nice I have gotten up the courage to ask maybe a really stupid question. What are the differences between an IMO, FMO, MGA & GA?

IMO=Insurance Marketing Organization
FMO=Field Marketing Organization
MGA=Managing General Agent
GA=General Agent

...and then I suppose there are just agents. So I know what they stand for and that sometimes GAs work for MGAs and MGAs work for FMOs or IMOs who contract with Insurance carriers. But it also seems like sometimes agents just contract directly with the carriers themselves.

Do agents sometimes work with more than one IMO or GA or whatever for different lines or companies?

They didn't teach this stuff in the insurance school and it wasn't on the state exam and even after 6 (I think) "interviews" I'm still not clear.

Thank you!

Larissa Leao Clark
:yes:

Thank you for asking this question. You're right they don't teach that in the classes.

my company is a nmo we hand out fmo contracting with proof of production and if you are looking to get into senior market email me at [email protected] your phone number and name and email information
You need to take a few min. to look at what agents really think about Amerilife on this forum. You want be around very long.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What I'm saying is you want be around this forum very long. Sounds like you were made for Amerilife.

Last edited:
my company is a nmo we hand out fmo contracting with proof of production and if you are looking to get into senior market email me at your phone number and name and email information

hand out fmo huh? Amerilife huh? The origninal o.p.is a brand new agent looking for an agency she can grow with get training and support now and be able to move up in contracts as her experience grows. Something a lot of agents on hre could learn a lot from.

Thanks for asking that question! I had the same question and just found this thread. Great question and it was not a stupid question. :)

Thanks for clarifying the abbreviations. They do not explain all of this in the exam manual. It seems after you get a license and think you are ready to sell to the world you learn how much you really don't know. I was thinking there needs to be another class after passing the exam.

Hello and Boa Noche, I think I said it right, can any of you GuRu's recommend a trust worthy FMO with terms and conditions(commissions) that I can trust? If you cannot say it online I would be grateful if you would just Email me direct.
[email protected]

Thanks for your time.:no:

You are a captive with Amerilife-I had a friend who had to go to the State Insurance Commission to get Amerilife to release him. I and two other agents walked out before we signed up after listening to the General Manger berate his secretary unmercifully in front of the whole group.

Back