Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance

Reply to Info About Woodmen of the World Company ?     
Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #21
Guru
VolAgent on Info About Woodmen of the World Company ?

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Info About Woodmen of the World Company ? Re: Info About Woodmen of the World Company ?
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
That's true. And if your wife spends it as fast as you make it...there's no profit. That's a not for profit if I ever saw one.
Not for profit is for wimps. We're anti-profit. She has dedicated her life to spending it faster than I can make it. And darnit if she isn't good at her mission.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Info About Woodmen of the World Company ?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #22
Expert
sambrody24 on Info About Woodmen of the World Company ?

State: sambrody24 is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Info About Woodmen of the World Company ? Re: Info About Woodmen of the World Company ?
Tew..I have been a republican since I was 10, I love profit, its why I went into sales. I honestly didnt think anyone would take the Pirate comment seriosly due to the fact that the comment had pirates in it, however my wife does say that Im the only one that thinks Im the funniest guy I know. Woodmen does have an internal DNC list, where I live however it has yet to remove a number from one of my lists (The town im in installed broad band internet 5 years ago im not sure if most people here are even aware of it) also its on a CD Rom, that makes me laugh everytime I look at. I joined woodmen because I think that reviving the fraternal side of what our originization is supposed to be doing for out memebers is in line with my general Non-Profit commnity action work. If its managed right I see the two blending togather nicely.

DNC list I dont have time at the moment to look it up and reference the whole thing (but I should put it up for general sight someowhere on the board) But the FTC and DNC rules only prohibit a non profit from selling a product or appointments setting for profit if its being done by a third party, Also not all Tax-Exempt entities are covered by this exception. Now on the state level they tend to be a bit stricter, state DNC rules for quite a few states prohibit sales or appointment setting by a Non-Profit exempt from the federal DNC list. New York However allows it all. Im sure people will ask me to prove it, I would suggest Typing in FTC DNC no call list and non profits in some type of order and the DNC.gov page with the correct link pops up.

Don't worry, there is no need to read the fine print......Trust me
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #23
Guru
Larry Tew on Info About Woodmen of the World Company ?

State: Larry Tew is an Insurance Agent from North Carolina
Larry Tew is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by sambrody24 View Post
Tew..I have been a republican since I was 10, I love profit, its why I went into sales. I honestly didnt think anyone would take the Pirate comment seriosly due to the fact that the comment had pirates in it, however my wife does say that Im the only one that thinks Im the funniest guy I know. Woodmen does have an internal DNC list, where I live however it has yet to remove a number from one of my lists (The town im in installed broad band internet 5 years ago im not sure if most people here are even aware of it) also its on a CD Rom, that makes me laugh everytime I look at. I joined woodmen because I think that reviving the fraternal side of what our originization is supposed to be doing for out memebers is in line with my general Non-Profit commnity action work. If its managed right I see the two blending togather nicely.

DNC list I dont have time at the moment to look it up and reference the whole thing (but I should put it up for general sight someowhere on the board) But the FTC and DNC rules only prohibit a non profit from selling a product or appointments setting for profit if its being done by a third party, Also not all Tax-Exempt entities are covered by this exception. Now on the state level they tend to be a bit stricter, state DNC rules for quite a few states prohibit sales or appointment setting by a Non-Profit exempt from the federal DNC list. New York However allows it all. Im sure people will ask me to prove it, I would suggest Typing in FTC DNC no call list and non profits in some type of order and the DNC.gov page with the correct link pops up.
Brody... the problem here is how you use the "non-profit" label, and you seem to have your heels dug in on the issue. The Red Cross, March of Dimes, Muscular Dystrophy, Peace Corps and other charitable organizations... they are what people think of when you say "non-profit". To portray a fraternal life insurance company in the same light is exaggeration and misleading.

Call your WOW compliance department and ask them if it's ok to lead prospects into believing you're a non-profit in the same vein as the organizations I mentioned. Check with NAFIC (National Association of Fraternal Insurance Counselors) and get their position on it.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

larrytew.com
Old 06-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
Expert

In our opening presentation (which I do not use because it is a lame duck non inquisitive tool) Explains our not for profit lodge status. We do free or reduced priced camp for our members childres, and a host of other benfifts, we also have several lodges that are quite active in volenteering and fund raising capacities. I have never personaly sold anything using the non-Profit pitch, As a consumer im not sure why that would make me want to purchase life insurance or pass. The customer will by when his needs are met and the circumstances are correct + he likes the guy hes buying from . But the non profit status does mean the marketing rules apply different to me and the orginization I work for. Whether people think it is fair or not for me to be able to market that way.....Im not the judge.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #25
Guru
Newby on Info About Woodmen of the World Company ?

State: Newby is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
Newby is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
In our opening presentation (which I do not use because it is a lame duck non inquisitive tool) Explains our not for profit lodge status. We do free or reduced priced camp for our members childres, and a host of other benfifts, we also have several lodges that are quite active in volenteering and fund raising capacities. I have never personaly sold anything using the non-Profit pitch, As a consumer im not sure why that would make me want to purchase life insurance or pass. The customer will by when his needs are met and the circumstances are correct + he likes the guy hes buying from . But the non profit status does mean the marketing rules apply different to me and the orginization I work for. Whether people think it is fair or not for me to be able to market that way.....Im not the judge.
I recommend that you be careful how you go about it. Using your logic, every agent selling NorthWestern Mutual, New York Life, Physicians Mutual, Royal Neighbors, Foresters, Knights of Columbus, Ohio National, and dozens of other companies could ignore the DNC laws. They are all mutuals and not for profit.

It doesn't work that way.

www.fexcontracting.com
fexcontracting is about helping independent FE agents get good contracts with the top quality companies and get them up to speed fast with product knowledge and a plan to succeed.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #26
Expert

This is the important question. Are the agents selling for these Non-Profs independent 1099 vendors who just have a contract to sell? or are they Employees of the organization?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also what state do they reside in, that is very important as well, the federal level is fairly loose compared to most state rules.

Last edited by sambrody24; 06-20-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Posts merged
Old 06-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #27

State: ganewbie is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
I will eventualy go Indy but went with woodmen to learn the ropes. Here is breakdown.

PAY: They have a good starting pay plan if you are new. $2,000 per month for a maximum of three months. Then you go to whats called a BDA (business development agreement) basicly if you write any business with a premium you will recieve $200 per certificate (policy) anything under and you get $70. This plan is in place for 2 years. All of this money is a loan. To pay back this loan WOW (woodmen of the world) will pay you half of your commision and then use the other half to pay off your BDA debt, You will recieve your commision after your certificate is issued. Your commision levels are 30% on term, 40% on uniflex and 60% on whole. There are bonuses on well which essential double your pay as long as you can write new business.

Training: hands on training depends on the manager, my local training is hilariosly bad, but I have been in sales and managment for years so I dont mind bumping into walls to see what works. Plus they will send you to Omaha for a week, They will pay for everything, flight, gas to airport, lunch then give you $20 per day per diam for whatever you want. They will also put you up at embassy suites which was a nice touch, open bar 5-7 plus free breakfast, yay!!

so in a nutshell to learn its a great gig, you will not starve unless you are really bad at sales, as for training every orginization has training issues. The BDA is great though for those starting out, as for credit mine was shot when i started but recieved the BDA agreement anyway.

Oh sidebar, after 11 years the guy who hired me made about 120,000 last year, most of the agents who have been there for 3 years make about 70-120. This is in a county whose population of 59,000
Yep, i know this is an old topic, but for anyone currently with WOW, when you first started, do you have to generate all of your leads or do you get any leads from the company and how much are they?
Reply to Info About Woodmen of the World Company ? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance