Insurance Part Time?

One bit of advice.
Just market one type of product. Such as FE, term, med Supp.
Don't try and have everything.
This will make it simpler for you if you want to do it part-time.

Shooter

Jcarring, I just have a quick question. I am a full time insurance agent. If I wanted to work as a part time teacher, do you think I could be a great teacher, or would I be limited to being a mediocre teacher? The same may be true in reverse.

I would personally recommend trying it, since you really have nothing to loose (other than the time and cost of licensing, and perhaps your sanity). For some it can work, but for many it does not.

I would suggest focusing on your natural market if you decide to do both. I don't think selling your students insurance is a likely niche, and selling their parents may be difficult as well (unless you are willing to trade A's for policies - just kidding, don't try that).

However, you could possibly sell your fellow teachers. You could even contract with UTA (United Teacher Associates) and sell Cancer Insurance, Critical Illness, Accident, etc.

You may find it awkward to sell those you work with, but that may be the only way to do both, and have it make a lot of sense.

Just my two cents. I think it is difficult, but manageable for the right person, and as Todd said, teachers make great agents.

Maybe that means we would make great teachers? Benefits, pensions, summer's off.....tempting!

"Fixed, Indexed Annuity, Disability, Long term care, etc products among many others with a Life/Health license."

Just my .02 here but I personally would not feel comfortable turning over my investment or actually looking for any of the other products such as disability or LTC to someone part time in the business. I'm sure there are people out there that are making it work doing it on a part time basis but I would think they are few and far between.

But how would people know you were selling part time, generally speaking if you're not out announcing it to everyone?

Not in the spirit of being a trickster- I just think I'm missing something here although I understand why it's discouraged

It's like trying to launch an airplane with half a tank of fuel. You may be able to get it off the runway, but there is a lot of downward momentum. Plenty of turbulence. Lot's of setbacks. You have to remain actively engaged to overcome all of the obstacles. Insurance is not easy, it takes a lot of time, and without a full effort, the success rate is much lower. It can be done on a part time basis, but it certainly isn't easy.

floridagirl some organizations work with brokerages or carriers where agents can get help with cases if they feel they need help not to also mention the ability to have a trainer. Part-time or full -time carriers will appoint either one without asking.

My point is there are organizations today set up for people to start out part-time if they so choose. It can be done and it is being done.

floridagirl some organizations work with brokerages or carriers where agents can get help with cases if they feel they need help not to also mention the ability to have a trainer. Part-time or full -time carriers will appoint either one without asking.

My point is there are organizations today set up for people to start out part-time if they so choose. It can be done and it is being done.

Cornerious, I think you missed my point here in that I was giving my opinion as to how I personally feel. I would not feel comfortable in working with someone in certain insurance areas if they are part-time. I don't feel comfortable in areas myself and I do this on a daily basis. I only work in Medicare products and FE and would much prefer to refer a type of business that I am not comfortable with to someone that does this on a daily basis.

I know there are agents out there part-time and succeeding with what they are doing. Again, my opinion here, I feel they are few and far between. I would not like to use a surgeron that does it on a part-time basis.

Used to do health coverage - I can't stand doing it now. I feel that it is important enough that someone needs to deal with someone that does this and really knows what they are talking about. I have a great working arrangement with a fellow agent in my state. I send him all my under 65 and he doesn't do Medicare so he sends me all his 65 and over. It is a win-win for everyone concerned.

Latest posts

Back