Insurance Part-time?

WorldIsMyOyster

Oregon
Did any of you successful agents start out the transition to your insurance career by working the business part-time while building a book of business?

I ask because I am the bread winner of my family. I have a good job right now, but it's just not what I want to ultimately be doing. That being said, I can't just quit right now without having steady income in place.

I'm thinking starting out part-time will be one of the only ways I can make this happen. Plus it would give me an opportunity to find out if this career really is right for me.

Eventually I'd like to go indy but need to learn the ropes so I'm thinking that maybe a part-time producer position might be a good idea.

Thoughts? Advice? Words of wisdom?? :idea:

Did any of you successful agents start out the transition to your insurance career by working the business part-time while building a book of business?

I ask because I am the bread winner of my family. I have a good job right now, but it's just not what I want to ultimately be doing. That being said, I can't just quit right now without having steady income in place.

I'm thinking starting out part-time will be one of the only ways I can make this happen. Plus it would give me an opportunity to find out if this career really is right for me.

Eventually I'd like to go indy but need to learn the ropes so I'm thinking that maybe a part-time producer position might be a good idea.

Thoughts? Advice? Words of wisdom?? :idea:

Yes, you can start part time. Several on the Forum have done it. This guy's the 1st one to come to mind. I think John Galt and Gooner on the Forum also started part time.

Feagentmentor.com |

Awesome and thanks. I looked at the site you included by the way. Now you've gotten me curious about FE. So many decisions in this industry but hey, that's a good thing.

Yes, you can start part time. Several on the Forum have done it. This guy's the 1st one to come to mind. I think John Galt and Gooner on the Forum also started part time.

Feagentmentor.com |

Second. I have written P&C, fully underwritten, "FE" as well as several other lines. "FE" is by far the simplest product to learn and earn. Marketing, selling and running a business are the tougher learns in my opinion.

Dave also seems like a good match for this guy as he started much the same way. Also has already done a lot of testing of different methods.

Second. I have written P&C, fully underwritten, "FE" as well as several other lines. "FE" is by far the simplest product to learn and earn. Marketing, selling and running a business are the tougher learns in my opinion.

Dave also seems like a good match for this guy as he started much the same way. Also has already done a lot of testing of different methods.

Thanks. You guys are great!

It sounds to me like using an independent system and building it in your off-time is the most prudent solution here. Selling for an agency will give you good experience, but you won't keep the clients and may even run into non-compete issues. If you have the capital to start independent and learn the ropes in your off-work time, you could definitely transition into insurance later on.

However - it is a ton of work and takes a lot of time and effort. However much time you think it will take to get where you want to go - double it. So while the gold at the end of the rainbow is worth it, and making this career move sounds like the best thing to do for you and your family, just make sure you know it's going to take a heck of an effort and you will face a lot of rejection. If you're okay with that, and ready to push through the tough times, go for it!

Make sure if doesn't affect your full-time job though, because losing that and not having stable income through insurance sales sounds like a bit of a risk to me.

When I first started selling FE, I was working at the church, finishing my Bible college degree and delivering pizzas. When I started FE, I didn't have any money for leads, so I got a dialer and developed my own TM leads. I did well out of the gate, so I dropped the pizza job and started selling FE about 10-15 hours a week.

To be honest, I still sell FE part time. I don't think I've worked more than 25-30 hours a week yet. It took me a few years to get into my groove, but the Lord has been good and I'm making an awesome living and still have time for family and to work at my church.

When I first started selling FE, I was working at the church, finishing my Bible college degree and delivering pizzas. When I started FE, I didn't have any money for leads, so I got a dialer and developed my own TM leads. I did well out of the gate, so I dropped the pizza job and started selling FE about 10-15 hours a week.

To be honest, I still sell FE part time. I don't think I've worked more than 25-30 hours a week yet. It took me a few years to get into my groove, but the Lord has been good and I'm making an awesome living and still have time for family and to work at my church.

I forgot that you started part time too. That's a lot of part timers that went through Fex.

I forgot that you started part time too. That's a lot of part timers that went through Fex.

I would be considered part time too. When I first got into FE I spent Monday-Friday working funeral PreNeed. I started by dropping 2,000 FE leads and just doing drive bys on Saturdays or evenings. I could work one of those drops for 2-months or longer. We got huge response back then.

I've only been part time selling for a couple of years now due to running the agency.

You can definitely make money part time. It won't be full time money but it's still well worth doing.

Yes, you can start part time. Several on the Forum have done it. This guy's the 1st one to come to mind. I think John Galt and Gooner on the Forum also started part time. Feagentmentor.com |

Nope. I didn't start part time. I just didn't work that hard...big difference, but putting up 4k a week(that I worked) was the goal...I did that. I only worked 35-37 weeks in 2014. I guess that would be considered by some as part time.

OP...I'd definitely reach out to Dave. He's a good guy and will answer the phone when you call him...can't say that about a lot of the FE marketers on this board.

Back