Insurance Training: Does It Matter Where You Get It?

Good Friday to all!

As some of you know I am switching careers mid-life from medical sales to selling insurance (see I'm 53 and Wanting to Start in the Insurance Biz in this area of the forum) and have received a lot of great suggestions/recommendations on this site especially the training needed as a newby. The most dominant is to get experience in the process of how to sell. I’ve been in medical sales most of my professional life and I recognize selling insurance is a very different and the approach to the customer is unique to this field. Right now I have an opportunity to work for Combined Insurance Worksite Solutions and I have heard and been told the training is very good.

My contacts in the past with medical sales were key decision makers in hospitals (Physicians and Administrators) That said, if I mentor/train under Combined Insurance Worksite Solutions which sells a particular insurance type (voluntary benefits – DI Protector, UL Protector, Accident Protector Plus, Accident & Sickness Protector, Cancer Care Protector, Critical Care Protector Plus, Catastrophic Accident Protector, Term Life Protector and Personal Accident Protector) to a certain market (mostly manufacturing and small business - blue collar) which is not my “natural market”, would this training and experience benefit me in the long run if I leave the company and want to go independent? My ultimate goal is to sell Med supps, CI, MA, cross sell FE, Annuities, Term and UL/WL as an independent with three companies for each product.

So the bottom line is: I know I’ll be starting from scratch again if I go independent and I’ll be approaching a different sector of the population—will mentoring/training under Combined benefit me? Or should I try to find a mentor in the insurance product line I’m really interested in selling for the long haul? Like Liberty Mutual, Guardian, AXA, BB&T, MM, NWM and NYL? Or does it matter what kind of training I get as long as I receive the basics of selling insurance? I am still trying to get a handle on this question so all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks

This business is 20% selling, 80% prospecting. Combined will teach you to prospect for worksite, most of that will not carry over to a line like Medicare. The sales process is fairly easy to learn for each product, getting in front of people is the most difficult.

As you have experience with decision makers it might be a good idea to also get securities licensed.

Good Friday to all!

As some of you know I am switching careers mid-life from medical sales to selling insurance in this area of the forum) and have received a lot of great suggestions/recommendations on this site especially the training needed as a newby. The most dominant is to get experience in the process of how to sell. I’ve been in medical sales most of my professional life and I recognize selling insurance is a very different and the approach to the customer is unique to this field. Right now I have an opportunity to work for Combined Insurance Worksite Solutions and I have heard and been told the training is very good.

My contacts in the past with medical sales were key decision makers in hospitals (Physicians and Administrators) That said, if I mentor/train under Combined Insurance Worksite Solutions which sells a particular insurance type (voluntary benefits – DI Protector, UL Protector, Accident Protector Plus, Accident & Sickness Protector, Cancer Care Protector, Critical Care Protector Plus, Catastrophic Accident Protector, Term Life Protector and Personal Accident Protector) to a certain market (mostly manufacturing and small business - blue collar) which is not my “natural market”, would this training and experience benefit me in the long run if I leave the company and want to go independent? My ultimate goal is to sell Med supps, CI, MA, cross sell FE, Annuities, Term and UL/WL as an independent with three companies for each product.

So the bottom line is: I know I’ll be starting from scratch again if I go independent and I’ll be approaching a different sector of the population—will mentoring/training under Combined benefit me? Or should I try to find a mentor in the insurance product line I’m really interested in selling for the long haul? Like Liberty Mutual, Guardian, AXA, BB&T, MM, NWM and NYL? Or does it matter what kind of training I get as long as I receive the basics of selling insurance? I am still trying to get a handle on this question so all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks

Go for it! Don't be a captive agent. You can generate your own leads.

On the subject of insurance training, specifically medsupp/MA training, I am thinking about signing up for medicaretraining101. Could anybody tell me if that is a good investment of $19.95/month or not? Thanks.

I sell Med Supp and love it. It is great that you are getting the training you need to sell. Also, don't forget about this site, lots of great info.

On the subject of insurance training, specifically medsupp/MA training, I am thinking about signing up for medicaretraining101. Could anybody tell me if that is a good investment of $19.95/month or not? Thanks.

Good move for any new agent. Nick and Rick run a first class association. I suggest them to all my new agents.

Back