Intro and Getting Back into the Game

NWABCS

Expert
I should have posted here first but I was in another forum just rambling away. I am 27 years old and living in Western PA. I got my health/accident insurance license originally in April of 2005. I then failed my life test by one question.

I then started in to my company's training class and the trainer had the entire class scared of the insurance industry. He was telling us stuff about having commissions taken from us, the horrors of the industry, etc. That coupled with being told I'd need to travel 3-4 hours away for a week every month, I decided the company was not for me. I found another company and was all into canvasing my local area for leads. I quickly found out that the company's top producer lived right across the street from me and she'd hit the surrounding area. She even had a call center doing her cold calling. So I'd decided insurance was not for me.

After getting a lot of life, sales, and customer service experience over the last few years, I decided to get back in to insurance. It also helps that someone in the insurance industry that I trust and a career evaluation both said I would do very well in insurance.

I am now on the path of getting "back in the game" so to speak. I know it is a rough time to get in but I have faith in my skills and the company that I have narrowed it down to (AGLA). I've read the good and the bad and know I can do well. I'm hoping to have my 2nd interview next week.

I'm excited and confident unlike the scared that I was way back when. I cannot wait to get my license again (no lapsing this time) and get on the road.

Sorry to sorta go on and on here, lol. I wasn't sure if this was an intro section or what. But I do have a question. Has anyone here gotten back in to insurance years later after a not so great first experience? Any advice to someone who is getting back into things?

Good luck and keep us posted on AGLA. I will let you know what my daughter's experience is.

I'm very new to the industry, I'm also 27. I never sold insurance before but I've been doing phone sales since I was 16. So I'm very comfortable with that aspect. I just hope the test for P&C isn't as hard as the Mortgage SAFE exam....that was a nightmare!

I have been in the insurance bus. for a while now on the p&c side and wanted to start selling life insurance. A friend told me of a friend of his selling for Agla in Sc. I am in Ga. I spoke with him and he's doing very well but he has 5 agents that he manages. He speaks highly of the company and encouraged me to interview. I had my first interview this wk and my second next tues. I have some reservation about their bus. model and wonder about the small salary for the 13 wks training period. I wonder if an agent can really make an above average living with them...Still not convinced and researching. I have read numerous postings on the forum that has mostly been good. This is a career for me..not a job so I will move meticulously. Any comments, negative or positive, will be welcomed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
I had my second interview with AGLA today. Before I rock and roll, I'll need to get licensed again and go through that process. Things seem good to go however with my current job and school, am wondering if I should start PT so I do not get burnt out.

Back