Joining New York Life. Need Some Advice.

Does NYL require you to get securities licenses too, or can you operate with only Life, Accident and Sickness?

I had a local agent approach me about a possible interview.

You'll have to get a Series 6 & 63 probably within the first two years of being there. It will become an eventual requirement (I believe).

That doesn't mean they won't bring you on board without them.

You'll have to get a Series 6 & 63 probably within the first two years of being there. It will become an eventual requirement (I believe).

That doesn't mean they won't bring you on board without them.

I'm dreading that....was never good at math! :1arghh:

This isn't a CFA exam. It's not even a CFP exam.

It's just the Series 6 and 63 exam. It's not that hard. And they'll even let you use a basic calculator on it. No 'time value of money' equations required. Nor would you need to learn the Black-Scholes model.

It's mostly about rules, regulations, and how mutual funds & variable life insurance contracts work.

If you can pass an insurance exam, you can pass the Series 6 & 63. I'm also pretty sure that NYL (or any other company with a b/d) won't bring you on-board unless they were confident that you could do the job and pass the required exams.

I'm dreading that....was never good at math! :1arghh:

The 6 is more basic math while the 63 is memorization of rules. I personally found the 63 to be harder. You had to memorize rules that made no sense and were completely arbitrary (at least to me).

Some offices push agents to get the 6/63 more than others. But it is not a requirement. Plenty of agents work for NYL with just their L&H license.

the 6 and 63 were much easier for me than the life exam. Passed all on first try with high scores. The insurance exam seemed to word questions that if you read too fast one word would or could change the answer. Had to really read slowly and basically sound the insurance exam out.

6 and 63 were very straight forward and were actually very easy.

the 6 and 63 were much easier for me than the life exam. Passed all on first try with high scores. The insurance exam seemed to word questions that if you read too fast one word would or could change the answer. Had to really read slowly and basically sound the insurance exam out.

6 and 63 were very straight forward and were actually very easy.

The 6 was a piece of cake but I barely passed the 63. My study material for the 6 wasn't very good.

Latest posts

Back