Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance

Reply to Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training     
Old 07-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #1

State: Brett530 is an Insurance Agent from
Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training
Hello everyone.

I am just getting started in the insurance industry as a life & health broker. I am working for a independent agency who specializes in group health insurance. My primary function is selling to small 10-99 employee businesses. So far, I have set a few meeting, but no sales yet. My broker is going on appointments with me so I am having some training in the field.

I would like to also get started with individual term life insurance and Medicare Supplements. Mainly for a way to diversify my business, as well as get some cash coming in between group business sales.

The problem I am trying to solve is in the amount and quality of training. I receive some training for group life, and the rest is what I can pick up from going on appointments or finding material online.
As of today, I have no training for life insurance sales, or medicare supplements.

My questions are this.

Should I start to focus on life insurance & medicare supplements before I get some group health sales under my belt?

If I should include life and medicare supplements, where would I find the best way to learn this side of the business? I have spent a lot of time reading posts on this forum, but feel that there are varying opinions on the best route to take. I am open to spending some money on material, but would like to know that there would be a return on my investment.

Thank you in advance.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training
Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
Guru
Todd King on Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training

State: Todd King is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Todd King is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training Re: Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training
Originally Posted by Brett530 View Post
Hello everyone.

I am just getting started in the insurance industry as a life & health broker. I am working for a independent agency who specializes in group health insurance. My primary function is selling to small 10-99 employee businesses. So far, I have set a few meeting, but no sales yet. My broker is going on appointments with me so I am having some training in the field.

I would like to also get started with individual term life insurance and Medicare Supplements. Mainly for a way to diversify my business, as well as get some cash coming in between group business sales.

The problem I am trying to solve is in the amount and quality of training. I receive some training for group life, and the rest is what I can pick up from going on appointments or finding material online.
As of today, I have no training for life insurance sales, or medicare supplements.

My questions are this.

Should I start to focus on life insurance & medicare supplements before I get some group health sales under my belt?

If I should include life and medicare supplements, where would I find the best way to learn this side of the business? I have spent a lot of time reading posts on this forum, but feel that there are varying opinions on the best route to take. I am open to spending some money on material, but would like to know that there would be a return on my investment.

Thank you in advance.
If you sign up for ILIAA.org you also get MedicareTraining101.com for free. Check it out!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Super Genius

State: johndf is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training Re: Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training
First let me start by congratulating you on getting started. Now my question would be; What is it that you want to do? You are talking about 2 completely different verticals in the insurance business. Group insurance which is under 65, I would assume you are selling health, life, supplemental products, etc and an over 65 product Med Supps. I don't know of to many agents that can be successful in those two areas at the same time, especially someone new. I am not trying to discourage you but if you want to be successful in the under 65 space, focus on that, besides group (10-99) focus on individual, small business or self employed clients. If you have a passion for the over 65 market focus on med sups or FE. Things may fall into place better for you if you are not trying to be so fragmented. Obviously the decision is yours I wish you the best.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #4

State: Brett530 is an Insurance Agent from
Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training Re: Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training Brett530 is the thread starter for: Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training

Thank you for the advice. I do agree with your statements on not being too fragmented. With all of the opportunities in the insurance business, it is hard not to want to serve every type of customer need.

After reading your response, and talking with other health brokers, I will be focusing on servicing small businesses and individuals.

Thanks again, and continued success with your business.
Reply to Just Getting Started. Need Advice on Training 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance