Just Getting Started

greyhound45

Hello, I am in Texas, I am starting out as an independent agent.
I have had my health and license for a few years, but did not know what I was doing essentially, ran into several setbacks, moves, etc etc,
Well I have an opportunity now is what counts. So I am licensed, and I got group e&o with the fmo I am with. Now I am seeing that I need to just buy my own e&o from now on so if there is a carrier I want to contract with I will be able to. The fmo has some good competitive company, and have been very helpful. No complaints there.
I am ready to go at the business all the way and ready to learn as much as possible.
I know medicare subject fairly well and have some experience here, I want to make the med supp and med advantage a big part of the business, but I think the med supps are the way to go, prefer them for the clients. But if a med advantage suits there needs then I am happy to write them a med advantage plan.
Also want to sell aca plans,
looking to put together a website where I can quote and sell aca plans, and quote and sell med supps and med advantage plans. And on the website just to explain the service I provide; positioning myself to be someone who can advise and help clients navigate the confusing health care market and help them get into a plan that is good for them and their family.
been studying the aca and how it works too,
one thing that is unclear is If i am an independent agent do I have to operate under my own name, or can it be under a name.
the other question is for aca plans, where can i sell them, if someone from another state goes to my website, could I sell it, or only to people that live in the same county, or state???

I have had my health and license for a few years, but did not know what I was doing essentially, ran into several setbacks, moves, etc etc,
Well I have an opportunity now is what counts. So I am licensed, and I got group e&o with the fmo I am with. Now I am seeing that I need to just buy my own e&o from now on so if there is a carrier I want to contract with I will be able to. The fmo has some good competitive company, and have been very helpful. No complaints there.
I am ready to go at the business all the way and ready to learn as much as possible.
I know medicare subject fairly well and have some experience here, I want to make the med supp and med advantage a big part of the business, but I think the med supps are the way to go, prefer them for the clients. But if a med advantage suits there needs then I am happy to write them a med advantage plan.
looking to put together a website where I can quote and sell aca plans, and quote and sell med supps and med advantage plans. And on the website just to explain the service I provide; positioning myself to be someone who can advise and help clients navigate the confusing health care market and help them get into a plan that is good for them and their family.
one thing that is unclear is If i am an independent agent do I have to operate under my own name, or can it be under a name.
the other question is for aca plans, where can i sell them, if someone from another state goes to my website, could I sell it, or only to people that live in the same county, or state???

No, you don't have to use your own name. If you're not using your own name, I have a few suggestions:

Rod Longstaff
Woody Johnson
Buster Hymen

:) Welcome to the Forum!

No, you don't have to incorporate under your own name. However, your state may have certain requirements for business entity names.

I'll use California as the example here.

A list of required definitive words:
Required Definitive Words

A list of improper use of words/phrases:
Improper Use of Words/Phrases

If you plan to ever do business in California, then planning for this in advance may be helpful. Check your state to see if they have any similar restrictions.

great, a monkee

ok thanks
currently in texas, I plan to do business in california
how could I sell a med advantage plan to someone in the same state different city?
same question with aca plans
could I sell aca plans to people in CA while in Texas

I'm thinking "something insurance solutions"
so i have to incorporate? but only if I want to operate under a business name? how?
learning about the aca can't see why anyone wants a 5k deductible plan,
i could see people enrolling in these plans haphazardly not realizing,

Last edited:
Back