Just Got P&C, Life & Health..."If I Was You I Would........"

I was in flooring sales for 25 years and decided it was time for a change so I left that industry a few months back to pursue a career in insurance because I enjoy selling and explaining things to people insurance seems very interesting to me even though several people have told me I am crazy. I really don't care what they think, I am confident I can make a go of it if I work hard and stay focused. I studied and tested and have just received my P&C License and my Life, Annuities & Health License. I know I am not going to make a lot of money starting out and expect to have spend some time growing it into a well paying profession,

So here I am in Virginia with my producers licenses and am wondering what an experienced person would do now if they were me.

Thanks for your advice
Craig~

One option... Start with one of the captive life insurance companies. Captive is a great way to start when you have no experience. The training, the systems, etc... Think New York Life, Prudential, Met Life, etc... They usually have some sort of paid internship.

Another Option... If you are interested in P&C insurance, then maybe go to work for a captive agent such as State Farm or Allstate. I however would not try to open up my own captive agency. P&C = work hard/little pay. This is a good option to learn and earn. You can probably expect about a $28,000 salary to start. Not much, but it's positive cash flow. You won't really make much on life/health insurance with this option.

It really just depends on where your interests are. The key is to learn a system and for that you need a mentor. It does not have to be captive, however they have some good training systems for new people.

Back