Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance

Reply to LOA to Independent, with a Twist     
Old 08-29-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

State: letthissinkin is an Insurance Agent from Delaware
LOA to Independent, with a Twist LOA to Independent, with a Twist
Hello all,

I have been in the industry for a little over a year now so I am still learning all the ins and outs of life as an independent agent. I started off by partnering with a friend who has been in the life and health insurance industry for about 5 years. He knew the industry and I knew how to start a business. We both retain 50% ownership of the agency and have listed the agency as the General Agent with both of us listed as LOA to the agency. Both of our commissions are paying to the agency. For most of our contracts, he has made the phone calls and put everything in place. When I call regarding information about contracting just about every company requires me to either talk to my partner or have him call the company for me stating that he is in fact the General Agent.

For a variety of reasons, I have decided the partnership is doing more harm than good and am looking to move on while remaining an independent agent on my own. My question is how would I retain rights to residual commissions and/or the client list we have developed together? I have been told being LOA I have essentially no rights, but wouldn't my ownership stake give me some right to the company's assets (i.e. residuals, client lists, etc.)?

I apologize for asking a question so unique to my situation but any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to LOA to Independent, with a Twist
Old 08-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Guru
Todd King on LOA to Independent, with a Twist

State: Todd King is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Todd King is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
LOA to Independent, with a Twist Re: LOA to Independent, with a Twist
Originally Posted by letthissinkin View Post
Hello all,

I have been in the industry for a little over a year now so I am still learning all the ins and outs of life as an independent agent. I started off by partnering with a friend who has been in the life and health insurance industry for about 5 years. He knew the industry and I knew how to start a business. We both retain 50% ownership of the agency and have listed the agency as the General Agent with both of us listed as LOA to the agency. Both of our commissions are paying to the agency. For most of our contracts, he has made the phone calls and put everything in place. When I call regarding information about contracting just about every company requires me to either talk to my partner or have him call the company for me stating that he is in fact the General Agent.

For a variety of reasons, I have decided the partnership is doing more harm than good and am looking to move on while remaining an independent agent on my own. My question is how would I retain rights to residual commissions and/or the client list we have developed together? I have been told being LOA I have essentially no rights, but wouldn't my ownership stake give me some right to the company's assets (i.e. residuals, client lists, etc.)?

I apologize for asking a question so unique to my situation but any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Did you incorporate the agency? Do you have Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization (LLC) in place? That in itself should spell out what you are entitled to and should spell out the fact that you are 50% owner of any business and renewals that come through the business.

------------------------------------
Todd R. King
800-590-7207
540-400-6275
888-748-3978 Fax
TRKingIM.com

Do the right thing because it's simply the right thing to do.

Finalexpense101.com
  Reply With Quote to LOA to Independent, with a Twist
Reply to LOA to Independent, with a Twist 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance