MAN... This is Tough!!!

redgo

Expert
I got all my appointments (8 different carriers, personal lines), office set up, business cards, etc..... I'm 3 weeks into this and 2 policies. DAMN, this is not easy.

I knew this was going to be a challenge, but didn't think it would be so hard to get people to change carriers, when I can save them money.

I'm going to start canvassing every business within a 1 mile radius of my office, looking for a networking group (BNI or LETIP)....any other suggestions?

The more people you talk to every day, the easier this thing gets.

One tip on saving people money. Don't frame it in a month, frame it in a year. If they save 50 dollars a month, tell them that it's 600 dollars a year.

And be sure to tell them that you handle all the details of switching...they will only have to do the application (with your help). EVERYTHING else is your responsibility. Much of the time people see it as too much trouble to switch...you need to be sure they know it's no big deal and won't be a hassle for them.

If success was easy, everyone would be successful, most are really not, good job though, you set yourself up and went for it, hang in there!

I got all my appointments (8 different carriers, personal lines), office set up, business cards, etc..... I'm 3 weeks into this and 2 policies. DAMN, this is not easy.

I knew this was going to be a challenge, but didn't think it would be so hard to get people to change carriers, when I can save them money.

I'm going to start canvassing every business within a 1 mile radius of my office, looking for a networking group (BNI or LETIP)....any other suggestions?

Here's the problem with that...

When people hear this "I can save you money" stuff, the first thing they think of is getting something inferior to what they have now.

There's no value in "saving money" unless folks understand that they'll be getting equivalent or better coverage.

True Paul, people are resistant to change (who moved my cheese?) and usually afraid of what they may be giving up or losing, no matter how much the current discomfort.

When people hear this "I can save you money" stuff, the first thing they think of is getting something inferior to what they have now.

There's no value in "saving money" unless folks understand that they'll be getting equivalent or better coverage.

Going into my first full year, this is the toughest business I've encountered. I've also encountered the same issues you have. Others here have said it very well. Sometimes when you thinking you are doing people a great service by getting a lower price, they get scared and want to run. You need to deal with this beforehand with the client.

I would strongly urge you to get some formal sales training from a reliable company. Had I done so initially, my first year may not have been so brutal. Also pick these guys minds for information, they are a tremendous resource and very willing to help. Good luck!

The more people you talk to every day, the easier this thing gets.

One tip on saving people money. Don't frame it in a month, frame it in a year. If they save 50 dollars a month, tell them that it's 600 dollars a year.

And be sure to tell them that you handle all the details of switching...they will only have to do the application (with your help). EVERYTHING else is your responsibility. Much of the time people see it as too much trouble to switch...you need to be sure they know it's no big deal and won't be a hassle for them.

GREAT point!! I have come across that a lot.. I think most people think it's a painful process to change carriers. thanks for the tip... I will make it a point to let my future clients know all will be handled by me with the exception of a few signatures. Thank you!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If success was easy, everyone would be successful, most are really not, good job though, you set yourself up and went for it, hang in there!

Thank you for the kinds words. I did tons of research, took about a dozen agents out to lunch to get advice from them, and even worked for an agency for free for 4 months before I came to this decision. I knew it was going to be tough,
especially the first 2-3 years, but I guess you really can't prepare yourself for it till you are living it yourself.

Great point.. I have run across that a lot as well. People are so used to these large captive companies like State Farm, farmers, etc... they tend to think the companies I am partnered with will not take care of them. I will make it a point to let them know my companies are solid. They are all nationally recognized, top rated carriers!!
Going into my first full year, this is the toughest business I've encountered. I've also encountered the same issues you have. Others here have said it very well. Sometimes when you thinking you are doing people a great service by getting a lower price, they get scared and want to run. You need to deal with this beforehand with the client.

I would strongly urge you to get some formal sales training from a reliable company. Had I done so initially, my first year may not have been so brutal. Also pick these guys minds for information, they are a tremendous resource and very willing to help. Good luck!

Thanks.. thats why I'm here... I feel like I'm alone at this right now. I don't want to tell my friends how scared I am because they will think I'm not confident at what I'm doing.. I don't want to worry my wife so I try not to tell her much... So I really feel like I have no where else to turn to.... Guess you guys are going to have to hear my crap for the next year!! haha
what carriers do you represent? are you pitching product?

travelers, hartford, met, GMAC, Kemper, Progessive, safeco, and a few more non standard carriers.

honestly, I'm not really pitching product so far but I plan too more in the future. right now, my pitch is..... "I will do the shopping for you so I can get you the best coverage at the most competitive rates"

Last edited:

You are doing well if you have 2 policies in your first 3 weeks.. remember this, the marketing you are doing right now typically won't pay off for 3 weeks. My typical close time is 2 calls and maybe 1 appointment in 3 weeks. They want quotes, time to shop, then want to know you'll call them back, then meet them in person, then close. People here so far don't respond to webconferencing, but I am having success driving them to my quote engine to shop for themselves.

1 suggestion. Stop selling people on the idea that you will save them money. Of course you can save them money, you can also cost them more money and provide more benefits, but neither of those is really terribly important so far as I've found. I tried the I can save you x dollars angle for a while, and while it does function as a door opener I find it better almost to just sell the fact that I am local and I can provide the service they wish they got from the agent they have now. I've considered starting out by asking people when the last time they talked to their health insurance agent was. If they have a good relationship with their agent they aren't gonna switch anyway, that's what you should be selling. I have NEVER EVER not even one time told someone when they called me, oh you should call company X and ask so and so about that. I call for them. The personal service is what people are lacking. You are dealing with their life. They want to know they can rely on you. If they see that they can, they will tell EVERYONE they know that they can rely on you. You are not the falling prices at wal-mart.

I've been marketing my ass off for the last month or so. I was feeling disappointed because I only sold 2 policies so far this week and then today I had 5 call me to set up appointments that I had quoted within the last 3 weeks. Should sell 8 policies tomorrow. Referrals are starting to pour in too, I had never gotten any before this month, and so far this month I've gotten 4 that called me. My goal was 100 policies for the year, now I'm thinking 300 is possible.

Never ever stop marketing no matter how you feel the results are.

Also, just remember, I'm nothing special, I'm just honest with people and nice to them and they appreciate that 100 times more than a sales pitch. You want to be sucessful in this business, stop selling people policies. Help them find what they were looking for in the first place, or the next closest thing. Be nice to them and treat them like they are your friend. Make them comfortable.

You are doing well if you have 2 policies in your first 3 weeks.. remember this, the marketing you are doing right now typically won't pay off for 3 weeks. My typical close time is 2 calls and maybe 1 appointment in 3 weeks. They want quotes, time to shop, then want to know you'll call them back, then meet them in person, then close. People here so far don't respond to webconferencing, but I am having success driving them to my quote engine to shop for themselves.

1 suggestion. Stop selling people on the idea that you will save them money. Of course you can save them money, you can also cost them more money and provide more benefits, but neither of those is really terribly important so far as I've found. I tried the I can save you x dollars angle for a while, and while it does function as a door opener I find it better almost to just sell the fact that I am local and I can provide the service they wish they got from the agent they have now. I've considered starting out by asking people when the last time they talked to their health insurance agent was. If they have a good relationship with their agent they aren't gonna switch anyway, that's what you should be selling. I have NEVER EVER not even one time told someone when they called me, oh you should call company X and ask so and so about that. I call for them. The personal service is what people are lacking. You are dealing with their life. They want to know they can rely on you. If they see that they can, they will tell EVERYONE they know that they can rely on you. You are not the falling prices at wal-mart.

I've been marketing my ass off for the last month or so. I was feeling disappointed because I only sold 2 policies so far this week and then today I had 5 call me to set up appointments that I had quoted within the last 3 weeks. Should sell 8 policies tomorrow. Referrals are starting to pour in too, I had never gotten any before this month, and so far this month I've gotten 4 that called me. My goal was 100 policies for the year, now I'm thinking 300 is possible.

Never ever stop marketing no matter how you feel the results are.

Also, just remember, I'm nothing special, I'm just honest with people and nice to them and they appreciate that 100 times more than a sales pitch. You want to be sucessful in this business, stop selling people policies. Help them find what they were looking for in the first place, or the next closest thing. Be nice to them and treat them like they are your friend. Make them comfortable.

Thank you for your words... and I am releazing that I need to sell people on me and the service I can provide... and if I can save them money, thats a bonus! I've got a couple of meetings today... so hopfully all this effort will pay off in the weeks to come.

Back