Mass Mutual for a New 2-15 Florida Agent

HI Justin
Appreciate your feedback-what other options are there? I don't have the experience to be an independent agent, and no other shop(Symmetry Financial, etc.) has convinced me otherwise.

At the moment I am taking the AHIP exam to sell MA-PD, and possibly final expense, as Mass does not offer those products. My concern is how else do I learn the Life Insurance business?

My concern is how else do I learn the Life Insurance business?

You've said that you liked my "sticky" thread. Did you ignore all of the links I put in there?

For $35/month, you can learn how to do this business with online video training and have access to monthly client newsletters:
https://www.insuranceproshop.com/insurancemarketing/insurancemarketing.html

I'd purchase one of their life insurance tool kits - either:
- Found Money Management for $995 or
- Mortgage Insurance Tool Kit for $547

Either system includes 3 months of coaching. 1 session per month for 2 hours each to help you get up and running.

You'll need to learn how to confidently ask for and receive referrals. I believe there is no better training out there - particularly for the price - than Sandy Schussel's Mastering Client Referrals for $37 (one time).

Yes, there is a cost. But there's a cost in everything. You'll either split cases, or you pay the money and learn the skills and get the tools.

----------

Hey Guys, I am not yet full-time at a local Mass office and discovering the training is not exactly what I thought it would be.

Also,I get asked almost very day if I have new appointments which feels a lot like being micro-managed( rhetorical question as my calendar is plainly visible). The fees are a bit high at almost $300/mo ( E&O alone is $130/mo,) I am wondering if NY Life is any different. Let me know what you think.

Just a side thought - I wonder how those integrated MetLife offices are coping with the changes? I remember interviewing with them about 7-8 years ago and they said there were no charges to their agents. Now that they're MassMutual, I wonder if that's changed?

HI Justin
Appreciate your feedback-what other options are there? I don't have the experience to be an independent agent, and no other shop(Symmetry Financial, etc.) has convinced me otherwise.

At the moment I am taking the AHIP exam to sell MA-PD, and possibly final expense, as Mass does not offer those products. My concern is how else do I learn the Life Insurance business?

I wouldnt think about setting foot in the sebior market if you are captive with Mass, there will be no opportunity to upsell or crosssell a Mass product.

Mass does actually sell a FE Guaranteed Issue policy only via TV that's hard to compete with.

You need to figure out how to get in front of people pure and simple. Your job isn't to sell, its to contact and follow up with people so that when they have a need, you're top of mind. If you're polite, can educate people on their options and stay in contact whether they buy or not, you will have enough sales. At this point to get in front of enough people you have 2 markets with some ways to prospect to them.

Before getting into those two markets, you need to understand your target market that your products are suited for. For you, that's mostly 30-50 year olds, income ranging from $40,000+ a year, hopefully married and has dependents.

The two markets for you are:
1. Homeowners to cover a mortgage (debt) or survivor needs
2. Business Owners

You can meet both markets at networking events like Meetup, Network After Work, BNI, Local Chambers of Commerce, Toast Masters.

You can meet Homeowners by doing mortgage protection mailers, or door knocking new homeowners via a survey (proshop link above has it). You will show them Mass' Essential Protection program and sell Life, and Di packaged together to each spouse. Following the next year, show value in converting a little bit for retirement supplement, permanent need protection (final expenses), and emergencies.

If you did a project 200, do a soft letter to them updating them on what you do, and who you specifically help: homeowners (and business owners). And if they come across anyone looking for help on their disability or life insurance to think of you first, and to recommend you. Insurance proshop has a good referral script.

You can meet business owners by cold calling or cold walking door to door. Mass Mutuals DI is more situated for white collar jobs so stay clear of service industry and blue collar shops. You also can approach business owners about BOE (Business Overhead Expense) which can be a good diffentiator for walking in the door conversations.

Think, this person should be in a career, be a one man selling machine, or employ career people.

No matter what, don't forget, your job for the first 7-10 years is to get in front of people until you're doing enough annual reviews and referrals to stay busy.

That means figuring out how to get in front of 100-200 people a week...

Last edited:
You've said that you liked my "sticky" thread. Did you ignore all of the links I put in there?

For $35/month, you can learn how to do this business with online video training and have access to monthly client newsletters:
https://www.insuranceproshop.com/insurancemarketing/insurancemarketing.html

I'd purchase one of their life insurance tool kits - either:
- Found Money Management for $995 or
- Mortgage Insurance Tool Kit for $547

Either system includes 3 months of coaching. 1 session per month for 2 hours each to help you get up and running.

You'll need to learn how to confidently ask for and receive referrals. I believe there is no better training out there - particularly for the price - than Sandy Schussel's Mastering Client Referrals for $37 (one time).

Yes, there is a cost. But there's a cost in everything. You'll either split cases, or you pay the money and learn the skills and get the tools.

----------

Just a side thought - I wonder how those integrated MetLife offices are coping with the changes? I remember interviewing with them about 7-8 years ago and they said there were no charges to their agents. Now that they're MassMutual, I wonder if that's changed?

No DHK, I haven't ignored the links, just trying to get through the initial training at this point.Thanks for reminding me- I'm calling the pro shop tomorrow,

Back