Medicare Broker Vs Final Expense Broker

Greetings.
I got my Life and Health License close to a year ago and contracted with a health brokerage. While I have been appointed to most MA insurance carriers, I'm considering making a switch to the Final Expense market. I have been a stay-at-home mom for five years and have recently returned to the work force (previous experience of sales and marketing). The issue that I'm having is the unpredictability of this agency/career. I was on vacation and I got an email that we had a conference call that day at 4pm.....then one Friday afternoon I was informed that I had to complete a training by Sunday. With no income yet, I understand that I am building but with a child going into kindergarden, I'm wondering if perhaps I should focus on Final Expense...something I have heard is more predictable as far as schedule etc. Any suggestions? Also, wondering about recommendations for Final Expense Broker Agency to look into. I'm in the Los Angeles area.

Last edited:
You will have lots of compliance and required training on the MA side. MA is tough the first year. FE is easier to get started but you will need to have a lead source. You can contact people to sell final expense and then up sell MA, but you can not contact people for MA. I start with FE or Med Supp and then I can pivot into MA if I have to and if done in that order you are in compliance. If you get a MA client you CAN NOT mention any other product not listed on the SCOPE for 48 hours, if you do you will out of compliance.

Hi there!
I am in the same boat. I have been offering MA as an independent, working part time, for the past 5 years.
My littlest is now going to Kinder and I am going full time and will also offer FE. My husband has been doing this for the past 10 years and we are in a great situation financially because of it.
There should not be any reason that you could not do both. During AEP I plan to focus on MA and then afterwards will shift my focus to FE.
Although MA does require yearly certifications, which can be extremely time consuming to complete if you are appointed with a lot of carriers, the January paycheck is certainly worth it :)
Plus, a lot of MAs are naturally inclined to want FE, as has been in my experience.

Hi there!
I am in the same boat. I have been offering MA as an independent, working part time, for the past 5 years.
My littlest is now going to Kinder and I am going full time and will also offer FE. My husband has been doing this for the past 10 years and we are in a great situation financially because of it.
There should not be any reason that you could not do both. During AEP I plan to focus on MA and then afterwards will shift my focus to FE.
Although MA does require yearly certifications, which can be extremely time consuming to complete if you are appointed with a lot of carriers, the January paycheck is certainly worth it :)
Plus, a lot of MAs are naturally inclined to want FE, as has been in my experience.

Nice...thanks. What a great thing that you and your husband are able to work together.

Back