Most Likely Scenario

Bitnis

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm about to start calling on business owners. My intent obviously is to sell the business owner something, to sell his or her employees something, or both.

I'm not interested in doing group health although I will work with group dental and vision. I am interested in selling life insurance, disability insurance, and individual health insurance.

As suggested by most people I want to lead with a commodity or lead with a loss product. I am guessing the vast majority of businesses I come across will have less than 15 employees and major medical is a major problem for them.

If I lead with major medical in this market, what is the typical scenario I will run into as far as what these businesses already have in place and what I should be doing to get their business?

If I'm just calling I can use ReferenceUSA and narrow it down to very small business owners with 1-4 employees which might be the place I should get started. Are many of the less than 15 employee businesses using HRA's, FSA's, Sec 125 plans, etc?

My suggestion: FOCUS

There are no magical answers. Make a plan and stick with it, adjusting it as you see trends. Don't get discouraged, people are not waiting on you to call them.

The trick is to realize that they have been called already by another agent. They have a relationship with their existing agent. What are YOU going to do to rock the boat and get a face to face appointment?

Tell us why you can do better than the person they are currently using and then you'll have the answer to your question.

Dan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My suggestion: FOCUS

There are no magical answers. Make a plan and stick with it, adjusting it as you see trends. Don't get discouraged, people are not waiting on you to call them.

The trick is to realize that they have been called already by another agent. They have a relationship with their existing agent. What are YOU going to do to rock the boat and get a face to face appointment?

Tell us why you can do better than the person they are currently using and then you'll have the answer to your question.

Dan

Last edited:
I'm about to start calling on business owners. My intent obviously is to sell the business owner something, to sell his or her employees something, or both.

I'm not interested in doing group health although I will work with group dental and vision. I am interested in selling life insurance, disability insurance, and individual health insurance.

As suggested by most people I want to lead with a commodity or lead with a loss product. I am guessing the vast majority of businesses I come across will have less than 15 employees and major medical is a major problem for them.

If I lead with major medical in this market, what is the typical scenario I will run into as far as what these businesses already have in place and what I should be doing to get their business?

If I'm just calling I can use ReferenceUSA and narrow it down to very small business owners with 1-4 employees which might be the place I should get started. Are many of the less than 15 employee businesses using HRA's, FSA's, Sec 125 plans, etc?

Many of the SBO's have been hit from all sides...Just get in front of them often with a consistent message. There is a very successful process in place but much to in debth to discuss in this forum. PM me and i will be glad to foward the information on to you. Good luck

It is only a matter of strategy. Try to check some information about the agency that the company is currently connected with and study what you have to deal with in making your product above the product that they have. Focus on the benefits and use the best assets that you have to make them feel comfortable discussing to you their concerns and expectations. Think positive and be confident.

Back