Moving from Captive to Independent: What Should I Look For?

G

I started with a captive agency almost 2 years ago. I've done a lot of research over the past year on the independent side of the business. I believe this is the direction I want to go with my career. What should I look for in an agency when considering moving independent?

Would it be inappropriate for me to call agency owners to
a.) Find out if they would have an interest in bringing on a new producer?
b.) If the agency would consider bringing on a producer, scheduling a time to meet with the owner. I want to find the best fit for me, just as the agency would want to find the best fit for them.

What are some typical pay/commission structures as a new producer? Would agencies be willing to pay a base plus commission until I can get on my feet then go straight commission plus renewals?

I started with a captive agency almost 2 years ago. I've done a lot of research over the past year on the independent side of the business. I believe this is the direction I want to go with my career. What should I look for in an agency when considering moving independent?

b.) If the agency would consider bringing on a producer, scheduling a time to meet with the owner. I want to find the best fit for me, just as the agency would want to find the best fit for them.

What are some typical pay/commission structures as a new producer? Would agencies be willing to pay a base plus commission until I can get on my feet then go straight commission plus renewals?
You posted yesterday and no responses? The questions you are asking are typical captive. Who will pay me while I get on my feet? Nothing is for free. Your research should concur.
That said. Once you find a niche you want to work; go to that forum area and listen. You will find what you are looking for.

With these questions... you're not ready.

Being independent means this:
- YOU'RE the CEO of your own financial services production company.
- You are fully trained to do what you do.
- You don't need ANY 'handholding'... with the exception of complex cases.
- Who do YOU want to contract with?
- Who will give me the best support / perks for the production I bring?

You don't need to know who the owners are. You shouldn't care that much. If you're going to be independent, you should need LITTLE to NO "handholding" at this point. You are (supposedly) fully trained and ready to go.

BTW, you don't need a 'local' agency either. The only perk a local agency can give you, might be the use of their office or conference room to meet with clients. That's it. Everything else is just a phone call away.

Asking for a salary or base... means that you still have an 'employee' mentality.

As Jim Rohn has said (paraphrasing): "The ground doesn't care about your 'need'. Don't bring me your 'need'. Bring me your 'seed'."

Back