Mutual Of Omaha

Lantis

Hello all, this is my first posting and I am very glad to have found this forum, its already helped a lot! Recently I interviewed with both Farmers Insurance and Mutual of Omaha, from what I have already read on the forum, Mutual of Omaha is preferred by the majority. I understand that one is home, auto, and life while the other (mutual of Omaha) is more focused on the life and health aspect. Could you give me anything you know about the two companies and also tell me why selling either home/auto or selling life/ health is better. Thanks so much!

I was a Farmers Agent, jumped thru the hoops and ended up not liking it. The money is not good and the hoops are uncomfortable to jump through. I am now an independent who sells for many companies, including Mutual of Omaha. I have had only good experiences with MoO. Any problems with policies and client issues have always been resolved, they have decent agent support and they pay fair commissions. I assume you are looking at the captive side, which I know nothing about, but I do know about Farmers. I would choose MoH.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply patch, I appreciate hearing about others experiences since I have none myself in this field. It seems to me that Mutual of Omaha is a lot less strict in their initial sales which would seem to be a better learning environment. I have read lots saying to go directly into independent but I feel it would be best for me to start a little more structure, with a mentor, ect. I guess one of my biggest worries I have now is trying to find customers from the life/ health. I know lots of people that would likely buy car/ home insurance from me and less that I feel would buy that stuff. I suppose people you know dose not go very far in the way of your overall commission though (I.E. need to get lots of other leads to be sucessfull).

Oh yes I do have another, I could not figure out how to delete it or change the screen name so I ended up just creating a new one, if there is a way I will clean it up :)

Thanks a lot for the reply patch, I appreciate hearing about others experiences since I have none myself in this field. It seems to me that Mutual of Omaha is a lot less strict in their initial sales which would seem to be a better learning environment. I have read lots saying to go directly into independent but I feel it would be best for me to start a little more structure, with a mentor, ect. I guess one of my biggest worries I have now is trying to find customers from the life/ health. I know lots of people that would likely buy car/ home insurance from me and less that I feel would buy that stuff. I suppose people you know dose not go very far in the way of your overall commission though (I.E. need to get lots of other leads to be sucessfull).

Home and Auto has become for many consumers, a commodity they buy based on price. The premiums are low so the commissions are small. It takes a boat load of P&C to make a living. You sell a life policy or 2 a week and you will be living large. Marketing is a whole nuther subject, but you will have to find your own way with that. MoO will help you with it and after you have learned the ropes, found a niche, you can make your own decisions about independent vs. captive.

good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks again patch, that makes much more sense than anything I have been able to find looking through the forums. I didn't understand what a large difference there was in what you make for P/C versus Life/ Health aspect. Two a week seems like a pretty attainable goal. What kind of a salary would be produced from that level of sales? Does anyone have experiance working for Mutual of Omaha?

I wouldn't waste my time going captive. This business is not that difficult if you can read a brochure and know sales.

A lot of those company offices don't really give any real support and they take plenty off your efforts.

Make it on your own. Sink or swim. Jump in with both feet and learn. It's all on this forum.

Good luck.

Back