Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance

Reply to Mutual Of Omaha     
Old 10-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #1

State: Lantis is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Mutual Of Omaha Mutual Of Omaha
Hello all, this is my first posting and I am very glad to have found this forum, its already helped a lot! Recently I interviewed with both Farmers Insurance and Mutual of Omaha, from what I have already read on the forum, Mutual of Omaha is preferred by the majority. I understand that one is home, auto, and life while the other (mutual of Omaha) is more focused on the life and health aspect. Could you give me anything you know about the two companies and also tell me why selling either home/auto or selling life/ health is better. Thanks so much!
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Mutual Of Omaha
Old 10-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #3

Mutual Of Omaha Re: Mutual Of Omaha Lantis is the thread starter for: Mutual Of Omaha

No I did not?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Guru
patch36 on Mutual Of Omaha - Insurance Forum

State: patch36 is an Insurance Agent from Missouri
patch36 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Mutual Of Omaha Re: Mutual Of Omaha
I was a Farmers Agent, jumped thru the hoops and ended up not liking it. The money is not good and the hoops are uncomfortable to jump through. I am now an independent who sells for many companies, including Mutual of Omaha. I have had only good experiences with MoO. Any problems with policies and client issues have always been resolved, they have decent agent support and they pay fair commissions. I assume you are looking at the captive side, which I know nothing about, but I do know about Farmers. I would choose MoH.

Chuck

If you think your boss is stupid, remember: you wouldn't have a job if he was any smarter.

John Gotti 1940-2002

www.feedthepig.org

Last edited by patch36; 11-01-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   What color are tomatoes? I agree to forum rules 

Old 10-31-2008, 01:00 AM   #5

Mutual Of Omaha Re: Mutual Of Omaha Lantis is the thread starter for: Mutual Of Omaha

Thanks a lot for the reply patch, I appreciate hearing about others experiences since I have none myself in this field. It seems to me that Mutual of Omaha is a lot less strict in their initial sales which would seem to be a better learning environment. I have read lots saying to go directly into independent but I feel it would be best for me to start a little more structure, with a mentor, ect. I guess one of my biggest worries I have now is trying to find customers from the life/ health. I know lots of people that would likely buy car/ home insurance from me and less that I feel would buy that stuff. I suppose people you know dose not go very far in the way of your overall commission though (I.E. need to get lots of other leads to be sucessfull).
Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #7

Oh yes I do have another, I could not figure out how to delete it or change the screen name so I ended up just creating a new one, if there is a way I will clean it up
Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Guru
patch36 on Mutual Of Omaha - Insurance Forum

State: patch36 is an Insurance Agent from Missouri
patch36 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Originally Posted by Lantis View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply patch, I appreciate hearing about others experiences since I have none myself in this field. It seems to me that Mutual of Omaha is a lot less strict in their initial sales which would seem to be a better learning environment. I have read lots saying to go directly into independent but I feel it would be best for me to start a little more structure, with a mentor, ect. I guess one of my biggest worries I have now is trying to find customers from the life/ health. I know lots of people that would likely buy car/ home insurance from me and less that I feel would buy that stuff. I suppose people you know dose not go very far in the way of your overall commission though (I.E. need to get lots of other leads to be sucessfull).
Home and Auto has become for many consumers, a commodity they buy based on price. The premiums are low so the commissions are small. It takes a boat load of P&C to make a living. You sell a life policy or 2 a week and you will be living large. Marketing is a whole nuther subject, but you will have to find your own way with that. MoO will help you with it and after you have learned the ropes, found a niche, you can make your own decisions about independent vs. captive.

good luck.

Last edited by patch36; 11-01-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #9

Thanks again patch, that makes much more sense than anything I have been able to find looking through the forums. I didn't understand what a large difference there was in what you make for P/C versus Life/ Health aspect. Two a week seems like a pretty attainable goal. What kind of a salary would be produced from that level of sales? Does anyone have experiance working for Mutual of Omaha?
Old 10-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Guru
The Rabbi on Mutual Of Omaha - Insurance Forum

State: The Rabbi is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
The Rabbi is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
I wouldn't waste my time going captive. This business is not that difficult if you can read a brochure and know sales.

A lot of those company offices don't really give any real support and they take plenty off your efforts.

Make it on your own. Sink or swim. Jump in with both feet and learn. It's all on this forum.

Good luck.

People who think they know it all really annoy those of us who do.
Reply to Mutual Of Omaha 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Getting Started Selling Insurance