My Boss is Two Steps Removed from an *** (Captive Agent)

blaze1x

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I just started with an organization in Florida that seems like it may be going places. The world is smaller than you think so I won't mention the organization. It seems like it's really close to taking it "to the next level." As a guy starting out in insurance this seems like a great opportunity. As part of the training process and I guess to appear friendly and a great opportunity for a career seeker they let me in on future company plans and the eventual need for managers. If I do well, obviously I would be considered for management.

Before anyone starts with the "it's probably a scam they tell everyone," I want it known that I've been around the block a few times and this seems like a really good opportunity. The head guy is literally a genius and he's got a good product outlook.

Okay, enough with the backstory.

Here's my problem. The boss' buddy is, who is the assistant manager or whatever is not very bright. He closes deal but not by appearing stupid/young/inexperienced, but because he is stupid/somewhat young/inexperienced. I know I will overtake him sales-wise in a short period of time. Eventually, they'll be looking to make me a manager, and I'll get overrides and all that song and dance with the agents underneath me. My question is, is it worth it? Is it smarter and more lucrative to just go out on my own once I feel confident that all my training's complete and I can't get anything else information-wise from these people? How much does one make as a captive agent opening up his own shop as a manager or as a unit manager within a location?

I just started with an organization in Florida that seems like it may be going places. The world is smaller than you think so I won't mention the organization. It seems like it's really close to taking it "to the next level." As a guy starting out in insurance this seems like a great opportunity. As part of the training process and I guess to appear friendly and a great opportunity for a career seeker they let me in on future company plans and the eventual need for managers. If I do well, obviously I would be considered for management.

Before anyone starts with the "it's probably a scam they tell everyone," I want it known that I've been around the block a few times and this seems like a really good opportunity. The head guy is literally a genius and he's got a good product outlook.

Okay, enough with the backstory.

Here's my problem. The boss' buddy is, who is the assistant manager or whatever is not very bright. He closes deal but not by appearing stupid/young/inexperienced, but because he is stupid/somewhat young/inexperienced. I know I will overtake him sales-wise in a short period of time. Eventually, they'll be looking to make me a manager, and I'll get overrides and all that song and dance with the agents underneath me. My question is, is it worth it? Is it smarter and more lucrative to just go out on my own once I feel confident that all my training's complete and I can't get anything else information-wise from these people? How much does one make as a captive agent opening up his own shop as a manager or as a unit manager within a location?

There are all kind of variables. But personally I have always preferred to be on a great plan and responsible for my self rather than over-riding others who usually don't have as strong of a work ethic. A move into management is often a pay-cut or a frustration-increase for a good salesperson.

Agreed. Every agent who wants to be successful is probably thinking about taking it to the next level, but here's the kicker.........Who is taking action vs/ talking about that next level.

If you like training, support, etc. than management might be just the avenue for you, but take your time. There is a big difference between selling and managing.

There are all kind of variables. But personally I have always preferred to be on a great plan and responsible for my self rather than over-riding others who usually don't have as strong of a work ethic. A move into management is often a pay-cut or a frustration-increase for a good salesperson.

Newby,

You really are a magician. You read my mind, that is exactly what I was going to say.

I "went into management" for a while. Hired and trained agents to work under me. My personal production went way down, my frustration level went way up and I was no longer in charge of my destiny. I worked twice as hard and made a lot less money.

The main reason I went into insurance in the first place was to get rid of having to deal with all of the "work ethically challenged" people out there.

I said "screw it" and turned "my agents" over to someone else and once again I was making a lot more money and had a smile on my face. Can you see me smiling?

When I write business I can make $3,000 a week working about 30 hours - take off when I want, go on vacations and relax.

When I hire I make about $400 a week, work 50 hours a week, phone rings from 8am to 10pm, can't take time off, can't go on a true vacation, can't relax.

Tough call. As you all see, I removed my ad.

Newby,

You really are a magician. You read my mind, that is exactly what I was going to say.

I "went into management" for a while. Hired and trained agents to work under me. My personal production went way down, my frustration level went way up and I was no longer in charge of my destiny. I worked twice as hard and made a lot less money.

The main reason I went into insurance in the first place was to get rid of having to deal with all of the "work ethically challenged" people out there.

I said "screw it" and turned "my agents" over to someone else and once again I was making a lot more money and had a smile on my face. Can you see me smiling?

Great minds think alike!

I spent 19 years managing people when I was the general manager of a Honda dealership (Motorcycles)

I spent 2-years of my insurance career traveling 3-states and hireing and training insurance agents to work within funeral homes. It's hard to get people who want to work and are self-starters.

I spent 4 years as a regional manager and handled offices in 5 states. I lived out of motels and saw my wife on the weekends. Once the affect of the fantastic money wears off you start seeing that old saying come true about "money isn't happiness." My typical week was 80 hours. At the end of that stint I was never more financially secure and never more miserable.

Back