NAA New Agent, Should I Stay or Jump Ship?

Samurai_Chicken

:skeptical:
I was contacted by an NAA (National Agent Alliance) agent after responding to a Craigs-List job posting a couple of weeks ago. I went to their site watched a few videos and became interested. (heck even with the low projections I would be happy).

So as of today I have passed my test and will be registering for my license tomorrow. Question is, should I start with them, or someone else? (btw, I'm in Missouri).

Without getting into specifics I am between 30 and 40. I have a 4 yr college degree. I have lots of relational experience with people, managerial experience, recruiting, and training experience.

I will be licensed for life/health (already passed the test today WHOOHOO!). I am new to this particular 'game', but am absolutely certain I WILL BE successful. I know you get out what you put in, and I am going all in...

So... What do you all think? I greatly appreciate any and all responses.
;)

I was contacted by an NAA (National Agent Alliance) agent after responding to a Craigs-List job posting a couple of weeks ago. I went to their site watched a few videos and became interested. (heck even with the low projections I would be happy).

So as of today I have passed my test and will be registering for my license tomorrow. Question is, should I start with them, or someone else? (btw, I'm in Missouri).

Without getting into specifics I am between 30 and 40. I have a 4 yr college degree. I have lots of relational experience with people, managerial experience, recruiting, and training experience.

I will be licensed for life/health (already passed the test today WHOOHOO!). I am new to this particular 'game', but am absolutely certain I WILL BE successful. I know you get out what you put in, and I am going all in...

;)

I've never heard anything good about them. If you like they're setup and plan on selling final expense, go with EFES or Securas, but lately folks have been getting bad comps from Securas.

Just search NAA on this site and you will find all the info you need. If you plan in selling FE, hang out in the FE forum for a few days.

Thank you for the response u 2.

I had read some things on here over the past couple of days concerning NAA and that was the reason I had asked. I know, as of right now, I am not a big fan of their 'command structure'. I have read some negative things about an agent or two, but I know enough to realize there are bad apples in every basket.

I suppose my biggest concern starting out is leads. I would much rather be an ultra independent agent, but being new, I have little to no idea about how to get leads.

From the little that I do know, they are mainly FE expense, which means I am not going to get much use out of my health license.

My short/long term goal is to go back to school and get my MBA and do B2B medical sales of some sort. However, if I can make the money in this business, who knows.

BTW you lost me on some of the abbreviated lingo. I figured out FE, but I am lost on the other.

* Another question. What is the difference between a Broker and an Agent? Ex. diff. in earnings/licensure.

Thanks for the responses, you guys are awesome.

Last edited:
BTW, is it poss. for me to sell FE with one company and sell health insurance with another?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sorry for the randomness, but another question.

I had electronically 'signed' some kind of contract last week with NAA (I cant find it) before any face to face meeting or licensure. Question, would that have been something that obligates me to them for a period of time? If so, how long is it usually?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I really do appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Well, that little creepy feeling in your gut is trying to tell you something, and you should listen to it.

While you would much rather be an "ultra independent agent" your best shot in the business is to look at a career company like a NYL or NW and give them 4-5 years. First off, you'll get great training. You'll gain product knowledge, you'll have a brand to compete with.

Then if you want to go indy, you would do so with a solid foundation under your feet.

While it could be said honestly that all agencies churn and burn people in this business, at least make sure you get something out of it in return.

Trust you "spidey sense". Don't know much about NAA, but everything I've seen or read about them has been negative. Cept from the recruiters of course.

;)

Don't even THINK about contracting a single company through NAA. They will break you. They have to be one of the WORST places for the selling agent.

Read every page you can on my website that talks about how to get started and what NOT to do. http://fexcontracting.com/

Leads are the easy part. But you will go broke buying them from NAA if you are getting half the commission you would get anywhere else.

Then read the forum. NAA is the pit of despair for trapped FE agents. They call me every day as well as every other FE FMO. We can't help you with the companies you loked up with NAA until you go 12-months with no sales. DOn't do it! I hope I haven't been unclear.

http://fexcontracting.com/

Combined Worksite may be a good start. Excellent support and training. A 12 week starting salary and you're not captive. Life and health products. I'm not a recruiter. I just know I didn't have any insurance experience so I've learned a lot from them and have been successful. I love the people too, God willing, I'll retire there.

I'm guessing you guys get a lot of these same questions from newby agents all the time. Knowing this is the case makes me even more thankful for all the great replies. Thanks again.

At this point if I can indeed run from NAA I am going to. I am having a hard time finding what I 'signed' online. So I am not sure just how stuck I might be.

If I am indeed 'stuck'... It is actually not a huge concern at this point. I will give it all I got either way, so I'll make some money (just maybe not as much) and learn some do's and more likely some don'ts real quick. I am changing careers and have been unemployed for nearly 3 months and I have got to start making some money.

I am quite anti-used car salesman when it comes to my interaction with people. I'm getting the feeling that some of these insurance companies (NAA) or however you refer to them, use the 'hard' sell approach. Quite frankly, they are not going to be sitting next to me when I make my calls or am sitting across someone in their home so I'll stick with honesty and integrity no matter who's letters I have on my policy folder.

If it comes down to it, I'll cross over to the Health side if I find that I got screwed by NAA, and just sell HI.

I am going to be speaking on the phone with my up-line tomorrow and I'll throw out some feelers and try to get a gauge of my.... stuckness... :err:

Thanks again... and again... and again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't even THINK about contracting a single company through NAA. They will break you. They have to be one of the WORST places for the selling agent.

Then read the forum. NAA is the pit of despair for trapped FE agents. They call me every day as well as every other FE FMO. We can't help you with the companies you loked up with NAA until you go 12-months with no sales. DOn't do it! I hope I haven't been unclear.

Well... Just found the online contract that I 'E-signed'. I had to sign the contract before even being allowed to access the 'sign in' to their site... It does indeed state the 12-month provision you were referring to. However, they are only 'producers' (is that the right word?) for

{Independent Order of Foresters, Mutual of Omaha, and Fidelity & Guaranty Life}

So... knowing this, what would my options be from this point? If I don't have many options, I am o.k. with sticking it out and working hard. If they do have an image problem, I'll do my small part in polishing it up.

Thank you so much for your input, patience, and advise.

Last edited:
Back