Need Advice and Direction

Newbie11

Hi everyone, I recently got my master's degree in counseling and it's not what I thought it would be so I'm seeking a new career involving insurance. I have no idea where to begin with any of this or if I can use my master's to my advantage looking for jobs. I'm just looking to get involved doing something with insurance where the starting pay is about $50,000, if that's feasible, and a company would be willing to train me. What do you all think?

Hi everyone, I recently got my master's degree in counseling and it's not what I thought it would be so I'm seeking a new career involving insurance. I have no idea where to begin with any of this or if I can use my master's to my advantage looking for jobs. I'm just looking to get involved doing something with insurance where the starting pay is about $50,000, if that's feasible, and a company would be willing to train me. What do you all think?

Where are you located and looking to begin working in insurance. The senior market is one of the easier markets to get into, but like all others you can't be afraid of working. As for 50k starting pay, there really is nobody that offers that. You may find a captive job that pays a small base plus commission, but 50k right out of the gate isn't happening. There are plenty of people on here that offer advice and training. I would pay attention to all of it and decide which is best for you.

Use your master degree in another job.

This job will not be what you think it is either.

This is a career and not a job. This is not something that is easy and something you will make a lot of money in. It takes years to make a good income doing this. You almost have to love to do this.

Where are you located and looking to begin working in insurance. The senior market is one of the easier markets to get into, but like all others you can't be afraid of working. As for 50k starting pay, there really is nobody that offers that. You may find a captive job that pays a small base plus commission, but 50k right out of the gate isn't happening. There are plenty of people on here that offer advice and training. I would pay attention to all of it and decide which is best for you.

I'm located in New Jersey and I'm not too sure what type of insurance to get into. I'll look into the senior market thing you mentioned though, thanks. Since 50k isn't feasible starting out, what would be a basic starting salary for someone like me?

I'm located in New Jersey and I'm not too sure what type of insurance to get into. I'll look into the senior market thing you mentioned though, thanks. Since 50k isn't feasible starting out, what would be a basic starting salary for someone like me?

Insurance is typically a straight commission job, good luck finding a salary

Use your master degree in another job.

This job will not be what you think it is either.

This is a career and not a job. This is not something that is easy and something you will make a lot of money in. It takes years to make a good income doing this. You almost have to love to do this.

Any ideas how I can use my degree for another job?

You would be working on commission. Some places start new agents on a draw or small salary starting off, but the bulk of your income will still be commission. In your first year, $25-$30K is a little more realistic. But like someone mentioned, this is a career choice, not a temporary job. The longer you stay in this industry, the more you will make year after year (even if you don't ever increase your production from one year to the next).
If this is a career you see yourself in, in 5 years, start studying and get your insurance license. If you don't see that in your future, find another path.

Any ideas how I can use my degree for another job?

Talk to other people that you went to school with and see where they went to use their degree.

There should be people at the college you got your degree to show you where to go.

I just want to save you some time and money. This Career is not for everyone. Most of the people that try this job wont make it.

I dont know anything about you, but if you have your masters look for a different type of career.

Talk to other people that you went to school with and see where they went to use their degree.

There should be people at the college you got your degree to show you where to go.

I just want to save you some time and money. This Career is not for everyone. Most of the people that try this job wont make it.

I dont know anything about you, but if you have your masters look for a different type of career.

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate the feedback. I'm just trying to figure out where to go from here so I'm trying to consider various options. What about if I wanted to work for an insurance company like New York Life, Metlife, etc? What kind of things could I do there? I've been thinking about underwriting, but I don't know how I would go about doing that.

Latest posts

Back