Need More Information Before I Look for Work!

areys47451

In Septemper I was hired by a call center to sell health insurance. They paid for all of my classes and administered all of the classes with in house trainers. When Open Enrollment ended I was let go. But now I am lost. They only taught what I needed to know to pass my exam and what I needed to sell the policies over the phone. I am familiar with Marketplace, the particular plans for the company, and everything to not get in trouble. But I don't know the first thing about utilizing my license on my own. I am qualified in accident and health. Am I restricted to health insurance sales? How do I get started with keeping all of my information up to date as well as keep myself updated on new laws and regulations? Where do I start when applying? When I was still with the company I felt confident, a top seller! But now I feel silly and small knowing nothing about the license I have. I loved the few months that I was helping people find a policy that fit their health concerns and budget. I found myself helping people understand the Health Care Reform and trying to find ways that it could benefit each person I talked to whether by easing their mind financially or by ensuring their preexisting conditions were covered and not raise their premium. I want to make a career out of my new found fondness for insurance and would greatly appreciate some guidance and input. Thank you so much in advance :1confused:

First, yep, you're stuck with health, long-term care, disability income, critical illness, and group products. For seniors, there's Med Advantage and Medicare supplements.

Second, you'll want to find a health insurance brokerage firm and find out what you'd need to contract with them in your state. E&O and a copy of your license is probably all you'd need.

Third, find a market that would be open to your help in understanding health care reform. To me, that's small businesses. Find a way to get in front of them to either review their current plan... or establish a new one.

How? Cold-calling and cold canvassing is a great way to start. The agency you decide to contract with should have more ideas for you.

The agency will pay you commissions only, so you might go broke in the process... but it's one way to go.

Just some initial thoughts for you.

Those churn and burn outfits usually pay for your licensing for multiple states. That may be of value for an agency that's hiring.

Make a list of independent health agencies in your area and go make some cold calls with your resume in hand. It's possible you might have a job offer by the end of the day.

Hi areys, I agree with thomasm. In addition to that, you may consider life carriers with a training program; you already have your health licensing, so you already have half the battle behind you. You would be an excellent choice for any agency. Only thing you need is cold calling, life training and face-to-face experience! Go get 'em! Good luck!

Back