New Agent: Should I Invest in a Printer?

On a serious note. Do you guys not have to do a lot of scanning?

I just left my local GA this year to start my own firm, and have found the thing I miss the most is the large printer/scanner/copier that could scan 20 pages in 1 minute.

I thought I would be fine with my combo printer in my home office (epson) but good god what a PIA it is. Ive resorted to paying my kid to do it for me in the afternoons after school! Ive even gone to kinkos a few times when Ive had a lot to scan.

So now Im torn between paying $400-$800 for a commercial grade combo machine. Or leasing one at a price that I have not found out yet... :err:

Two comments...first, easy everyone...new guy/gal, new producer, etc. -- let's show a little compassion here.

Starting out on a shoe-string is always tough.

I just left my local GA this year to start my own firm, and have found the thing I miss the most is the large printer/scanner/copier that could scan 20 pages in 1 minute.

I thought I would be fine with my combo printer in my home office (epson) but good god what a PIA it is. Ive resorted to paying my kid to do it for me in the afternoons after school! Ive even gone to kinkos a few times when Ive had a lot to scan.

So now Im torn between paying $400-$800 for a commercial grade combo machine. Or leasing one at a price that I have not found out yet... :err:

Second, my staff does a ton of scanning...a ton! LOL. I get copies of everything via scan/email, and then sorted to my hard-drive. I have read and had the people come in to my office to talk about the "paperless office" -- and I think that has a place. I didn't -- wasn't able -- to do that at the time. However, I think scanning is critical to our -- well, at least to my -- business. I have seen my staff do it and the paper feeds into the machine no different than if it were copying. I still think it's cool. LOL.

......Nicely labeled files do not make your mortgage payment.

Great statement. When I started in business I used used file folders and slapped labels over the old information. It was hand written and ugly but it worked.

Two comments...first, easy everyone...new guy/gal, new producer, etc. -- let's show a little compassion here.

Starting out on a shoe-string is always tough.

If you can't afford $100 for a printer then how can you expect to succeed? Shoestring is one thing. Totally broke is another.

The best advice in this case is to get a j.o.b. and save money while you do this part-time. A printer/scanner is more important than the iPad I'm sure he bought.

Rick

The last time I commented on a printer in a discussion forum... well, I ended up being banned from that forum. lol.

However, one of the things I like about the carriers I work with are e-apps. Generally, I only have to scan in my handwritten notes and fact-finders.

But yeah, to be in business, you've got to have the tools. Start out cheap and you can upgrade everything over time.

Epson is a great choice, and CobraInk offers continuous ink systems that will reduce your printing costs to less than pennies.

I'll tell you to stay away from Lexmark. I've had nothing but problems with the drivers of my Lexmark Pro905. Sure, the black ink is only about $5 per cartridge, but the rest of it... sucks.

Could you post your brothers info? I wouldn't mind getting one of those....

I have the HL-22700DW which looks like it has been discontinued.

Very similar to this model. Watch the sales at Office Depot/Staples and you can usually pick one up at a discount. Amazon.com: Brother HL-L2340DW Compact Laser Printer with Duplex Printing and Wireless Networking: Electronics

----------

Got the EPSON GT-S50 for scanning. Didn't like the multi-function machines; they tend not do one thing well.

Latest posts

Back