New Agent

Hi Insurance Forum,

After completing my 1st year of individual health insurance sales, I am inneed of your advice,

I have been selling individual health for the last 12 months. I wrote 120+apps and have 84 clients. I work thru an MGA ( though I donot know the difference of MA, MGA, IMO).

I averaged about 10 apps per month, 7 new clients per month.

My payout for major medical is between 6%-9% for yr 1 commissions and 1% or less for year 2+.

I sell supplemental policies and they pay an average of 25% yr 1 commissionsand 4% in yr 2+.

Even though I think I am doing well, I cannot make ends meet. ? I would appreciateyour replies to these questions...

Will going independent will raise my commission rates ?

If so, what are typical Year 1 and Year 2+ commission rates for MajorMedical ?

What are typical Year 1 and Year 2+ commission rates for supplemental policieslike Critical Illness, Accident/Injury only, Cancer, Dental ?

Can you advise me of some Ohiocarriers with good coverage and good commission rates ?

Thanks for helping me.

Greetings. Not bad numbers for your first year. But the indie health insurance market may be very volatile for a while so make sure you seek other lines of business to sell.

How about disability and LTC? Ohio folks are usually receptive to those products.

Who is the MGA? With many carriers, you can go direct.

Greetings. Not bad numbers for your first year. But the indie health insurance market may be very volatile for a while so make sure you seek other lines of business to sell.

How about disability and LTC? Ohio folks are usually receptive to those products.

Who is the MGA? With many carriers, you can go direct.

Looking at Disability thru Illinois Mutual.

GOt contract info from Summa, MMO and ANthem. Summa says I can go direct with them. MMO says I must go thru MGA, ANthem says direct for individual but MGA for small groups.

No experience in selling LTC. How can u and I talk live?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking at Disability thru Illinois Mutual.

GOt contract info from Summa, MMO and ANthem. Summa says I can go direct with them. MMO says I must go thru MGA, ANthem says direct for individual but MGA for small groups.

No experience in selling LTC. How can u and I talk live?

Hi Oxford, I am New to this site and to threads, posts

Last edited:
Hi Insurance Forum,

After completing my 1st year of individual health insurance sales, I am inneed of your advice,

I have been selling individual health for the last 12 months. I wrote 120+apps and have 84 clients. I work thru an MGA ( though I donot know the difference of MA, MGA, IMO).

I averaged about 10 apps per month, 7 new clients per month.

My payout for major medical is between 6%-9% for yr 1 commissions and 1% or less for year 2+.

I sell supplemental policies and they pay an average of 25% yr 1 commissionsand 4% in yr 2+.

Even though I think I am doing well, I cannot make ends meet. ? I would appreciateyour replies to these questions...

Will going independent will raise my commission rates ?

If so, what are typical Year 1 and Year 2+ commission rates for MajorMedical ?

What are typical Year 1 and Year 2+ commission rates for supplemental policieslike Critical Illness, Accident/Injury only, Cancer, Dental ?

Can you advise me of some Ohiocarriers with good coverage and good commission rates ?

Thanks for helping me.

You may want to take a look at Med Supps. They pay first year commission for the first six years.

Ohio folks are usually receptive to those also. ;)

your Comm. % is low, you can get 10% at least, learn to combo sell Acc, CI ect, cover them 100% out of pocket for Acc or CI they will have better covg. you make more money

You may want to take a look at Med Supps. They pay first year commission for the first six years.

Ohio folks are usually receptive to those also. ;)
Hi Frank...
I've been reading alot of your posts (recent and older)...you seem to be an expert in Medicare Supps and I am new to that line of business. Any insight on prospecting, leads etc for Med Supps?

Thank You
John

Hi Frank...
I've been reading alot of your posts (recent and older)...you seem to be an expert in Medicare Supps and I am new to that line of business. Any insight on prospecting, leads etc for Med Supps?

Thank You
John

If you have read several of my posts you probably know that I am not a fan of spending money on purchasing "leads". In the last eighteen years I have purchased every kind of lead that has ever been available and I have not found any that I felt were worth the money. A new agent will go broke buying leads.

I have have been generating my own leads for almost as long as I have been selling Med Supps.

Save your money and learn how to prospect. Give me a call if you would like to talk about it further, 573.544.4091.

Back