New Agent

michelemollen

Hi I just got licensed for life, accident and disability. I have been offered positions both with Aflac and Farmers. Any feedback?

Farmers will require a P&C license, in addition to your L&H.

There's lots of information by using the search function.

AFLAC is very different from Farmers... and both are different than New York Life (for example).

An insurance license can lead you in MANY different ways... so HoosierLife's point is important: what was your plan before you got licensed?

Agreed on both points. It's a huge decision and those companies are as different a business model as you can get. You need to know lots of things about yourself. Sales style. B2B or straight to consumer. Which is right for you. Do you need lots of support or are you an experienced business person etc. This is not something to take lightly.

I was previously an RN for 30yrs so I have NO experience in finance or sales, I need a lot of support and education in my new career. Making money is important to me too but I'm not looking to become the next Bill Gates, lol.

This may be cliché, but if I were you, I'd probably focus on Long Term Care insurance sales. At least it would fit your prior experience and expertise. I would market myself to financial planners and investment advisors who know 'about' these things, but would rather split the business (commissions) with you to have your nursing experience to help convey the importance of it. That wouldn't be the only way to prospect for business... but it's another avenue.

That being said... you still didn't answer the question. Why did you decide to become insurance licensed? What was it about insurance that you can see yourself doing?

Why did I go into Insurance? Other than the fact that Aflac pursued me? Well, my brother had a child with genetic birth defects whom required months of treatment in the neonatal ICU. The ensuing medical bills bankrupted my brother but he didn't bat an eye, he would do anything for this child. If I could help other people from going down the same path he did, I would feel as if I had done something worthwhile.
M.

That's a great story.

To help others with that particular problem, it would be solved with health insurance.

AFLAC sells "supplemental" policies that I would doubt would cover anything like that. There are other 'issues' with AFLAC, per those who have worked with them.

Farmers is primarily P&C... you know, auto, home, personal lines, workman's comp, business liability coverage, etc.

For me, I prefer my work to be more fulfilling to me, knowing that I can help people to do the best job I can, working with the limits of the client's budget. That's more of a 'financial planning' approach... even if you're just talking about health insurance, life insurance, disability, critical illness, etc. Well, AFLAC does do all that... but generally on a worksite basis. That means payroll deduction with a minimum participation/policy requirement.

If it were me, based on what little information I have on you... I'd check out Combined Insurance. They have supplemental health products, but they can be sold on an individual basis. Also, they have a great training program to help you with prospecting.

After a few months with them... I'd look into leaving and taking your skills to an independent contract with Assurity Life and other companies. Lots of the same products, but you'll get paid at least 2x what you'll earn at Combined... and they've got a better product lineup, IMO.

I looked up Combined Insurance but I don't think they are in the state of California. I will wait for them to get back to me. Do you have anymore feedback on Farmers?
M.

Oh they're in California alright. Their training office for the state is in Ontario. I worked for them a couple of years ago. This link will give you my impressions of them.

http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...ssions/combined-agents-t45235.html#post587537

I can't give you any feedback on Farmers myself. That's the P&C world... and I don't have any professional experience with that.

----------

What part of California are you in?

Latest posts

Back