New Agent in WA State

Jbar

I have recently acquired my licenses for P&C as well as L&H just a few months ago. I am brand new to the world of insurance but I have about 10 years of sales experience behind me in the automotive and advertising fields. I'm just now discovering this site and have seen the many threads on captive vs independent agency. I am starting with the captive route in order to get some experience and training but not sure what the future will hold for me in say 2 years. My main goal is to eventually own my business and work for myself. Right now I have been mostly cold calling to get prospective clients, I do not want to market to my friends and family; I don't want to be "that guy" lol. Other then cold calling, x-dates, and canvassing are there any suggestions for getting my name out there in front of potential clients? I initially put some work into developing a website for myself but the feed back from my DM was not to focus on that because once I go career I will be provided a company site.

I have recently acquired my licenses for P&C as well as L&H just a few months ago. I am brand new to the world of insurance but I have about 10 years of sales experience behind me in the automotive and advertising fields. I'm just now discovering this site and have seen the many threads on captive vs independent agency. I am starting with the captive route in order to get some experience and training but not sure what the future will hold for me in say 2 years. My main goal is to eventually own my business and work for myself. Right now I have been mostly cold calling to get prospective clients, I do not want to market to my friends and family; I don't want to be "that guy" lol. Other then cold calling, x-dates, and canvassing are there any suggestions for getting my name out there in front of potential clients? I initially put some work into developing a website for myself but the feed back from my DM was not to focus on that because once I go career I will be provided a company site.

Welcome to the Forum Jbar. Are you related to Kareem?:twitchy:

Good call not calling on friends and relatives. As for the Life, have you looked into buying leads?

You mention wanting to be Independent after getting some captive training. When you go off on your own, the company website stays behind. You've already started on your own website...I'd go ahead and finish it, that way it's already to go when you do go Independent. If you do it yourself you're talking $10 a month to keep it up and from what I understand, it takes a while to start generating many leads.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. My website is complete and I have built and and running it on my own as to keep costs low I just haven't invested as much time into blogging and keeping up on seo in order to drive traffic there as I was discouraged from doing that sort of activity at this time. But with it being such a low cost way to get in front of people I think I will invest more of my time into it. As far purchasing life leads goes do you recommend any particular service? And also in an effort to keep costs as minimal as possible at this time what are your thoughts on aged leads?

P.S. I am not related to the basketball legend... lol

Thanks for the reply. My website is complete and I have built and and running it on my own as to keep costs low I just haven't invested as much time into blogging and keeping up on seo in order to drive traffic there as I was discouraged from doing that sort of activity at this time. But with it being such a low cost way to get in front of people I think I will invest more of my time into it. As far purchasing life leads goes do you recommend any particular service? And also in an effort to keep costs as minimal as possible at this time what are your thoughts on aged leads?

P.S. I am not related to the basketball legend... lol

The only leads I've bought were Avatar leads. They're cheap and I was very happy with the ROI. Many recommend Direct Mail leads. I've heard good things about aged leads and am thinking about trying them myself.

If I were you, I would only use lead companies that are represented on the Forum...or recommended on the Forum. Too many guys get burnt by outfits that nobody has heard of.

Once again thanks for the advice I'll do some further research on avatar leads. I know that the whole captive vs independent issue has been beaten worse than a dead horse on here; I know how to use the search feature. With that being said is there anyone here in the King or Pierce County area of Washington that would be interested in chatting a little about the business as a whole? I'm all about learning for those who have done it before and before I get to the point that I may be committed to pay back any subsidy payments that I receive I would like to hear options from somebody that has the experience with rates in my area.

Welcome to the Forum Jbar. Are you related to Kareem?:twitchy:

Good call not calling on friends and relatives. As for the Life, have you looked into buying leads?

You mention wanting to be Independent after getting some captive training. When you go off on your own, the company website stays behind. You've already started on your own website...I'd go ahead and finish it, that way it's already to go when you do go Independent. If you do it yourself you're talking $10 a month to keep it up and from what I understand, it takes a while to start generating many leads.

Good luck.

Well, I think calling friends and families is a good way to start. Just have to keep in mind that you're not selling to them but rather letting them know that you are in the business etc.

Example:

Hey, how are you doing? [They answer] Good to hear, or reply accordingly.

You have a minute? [Usually yes]

I just got certified as a life insurance agent [your specific certs] and Im working with [your agency if youre with one etc.] I just wanted to reach out and let you know. Since I have you on the line, I wanted to take this time and ask if you currently have life insurance [or type of product of your cert] or if it is something that has crossed your mind?

Anything after you just have to play it by ear.

Remember, youre not selling to your friends and family -if that makes sense.

Well, I think calling friends and families is a good way to start. Just have to keep in mind that you're not selling to them but rather letting them know that you are in the business etc.

Example:

Hey, how are you doing? [They answer] Good to hear, or reply accordingly.

You have a minute? [Usually yes]

I just got certified as a life insurance agent [your specific certs] and Im working with [your agency if youre with one etc.] I just wanted to reach out and let you know. Since I have you on the line, I wanted to take this time and ask if you currently have life insurance [or type of product of your cert] or if it is something that has crossed your mind?

Anything after you just have to play it by ear.

Remember, youre not selling to your friends and family -if that makes sense.

To each his own. It might depend on how many different things you've sold to your friends and relatives(for example vacuum cleaners). I don't want to prospect at family reunions. They know what you do.

My friends and family know what I am now doing... Calling them and feeding then that script wouldn't work because as friends and family they know me and my mannerisms... It would truly feel unnatural. So no it wouldn't be informing them it would be selling them, but I can see how for others it may be different. The day I passed my tests I announced it on my social medial to friends and family and had about 80 likes and 20 something comments in 8 hours. Those who where interested in a quote reached out to me directly and I helped them. I have no problem helping a friend who asks for my assistance when they know what I do but I am not going to be the guy actively prospecting friends and family for a book of business that could be taken from me. I was in the auto business for nearly 10 years and nothing good ever came from selling a friend or family member a vehicle. They expect the moon and think that you always can do better for them because they are a friend or family member which isn't always true especially in insurance. But yeah... that's my opinion.

Back