New Guy in Charlotte, NC

rpawa

Hi everyone,

I recently moved from NY to Charlotte and trying to see if it makes for me to go independent. I had worked for major banks and have life/health licenses and securities license. Could anyone one guide me please as to where to start from??
and what I need. I am looking into getting P&C license here in NC also.
I know I want to work for myself and appreciate your expert advice.

first things first, figure out how you're going to generate a consistent flow of leads. until that's humming along, don't quit your day job.

P&C is a whole different animal than life and health. The learning curve is huge!

It's not a bad idea to work as a producer for someone else for awhile to learn how to quote and bind policies and service a book.

New Guy in Charlotte, Good advice here from Thomas M. Success in P&C depends heavily on having a steady pipeline of prospects, in addition to good, competitive markets and the ability to service clients effectively and efficiently. P&C markets are extremely - if not nearly impossible to obtain on your own. Some of the better agency networks (aka: aggregators & clusters) can provide some markets access, in varying formats but many of them are now requiring an agent to have at least two-years of P&C experience. Also, one-person operations are difficult to start and maintain in the P&C environment.

You might do best to start with a financial products operation on your own and learn P&C as you can while selling life, health, annuities, etc. Then you will be in a better position to formulate expansion plans and your business future.

If you want some additional thoughts, I can be reached thru my website.

Best to you!

New Guy in Charlotte, Good advice here from Thomas M. Success in P&C depends heavily on having a steady pipeline of prospects, in addition to good, competitive markets and the ability to service clients effectively and efficiently. P&C markets are extremely - if not nearly impossible to obtain on your own. Some of the better agency networks (aka: aggregators & clusters) can provide some markets access, in varying formats but many of them are now requiring an agent to have at least two-years of P&C experience. Also, one-person operations are difficult to start and maintain in the P&C environment.

You might do best to start with a financial products operation on your own and learn P&C as you can while selling life, health, annuities, etc. Then you will be in a better position to formulate expansion plans and your business future.

If you want some additional thoughts, I can be reached thru my website.

Best to you!
Thanks Phil for your advice. Some of my friends have advised me not to go independent as well and I agree however do you recommend any firm or group that I can join??

----------

first things first, figure out how you're going to generate a consistent flow of leads. until that's humming along, don't quit your day job.

P&C is a whole different animal than life and health. The learning curve is huge!

It's not a bad idea to work as a producer for someone else for awhile to learn how to quote and bind policies and service a book.
Thanks thomasm for your advise. Do you recommend anyone or any firm that I can join??

Back